Building a new motor.

73DATSON

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is it you're after? You just want more power? Or something different? What motivates you?

If you're after monster power and want to retain the L series appearance under the hood, build a long rod 2200. My favorite L series by far. You'll need a L20B crank, 6" N85 rods from a Z20, custom pistons and the head that you already have. You may need to re-work the chambers of your head to get the squish and the CR right, and you may also need to build the pistons to the head, but once complete, they rev, they make torque and it's still got that vintage vibe. 210 hp with dual 44's or 45's is easily attainable with that combination.

If you want less rev and more torque, use the Z22 crank with the same rods for a long rod 2300.

Yes that’s what I’m talking about!!!! That’s just fine with me.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't build the 510 for power, build it to handle and perform. Use it as your canyon carver.

A well handling car can go a long way in handling a lack of power. Look at the Miata.

I have Troy E. Suspension setup already, so she handles just fine. I’m in NJ no Canyons here....:-(((( just. Thx...

I've never really liked the Z24, especially in a swap. Too tall for a 510.

If the current engine is an L16/18 the LZ24 will be 1.5" taller, if an L20B it will be only 0.75" taller. Should be easy enough to find the highest part on the engine and the closest part on the hood and measure.

If you're using an L based engine, with all L series motor mounts, then the trans clocking will not be an issue. It's when you tilt the engine the other way, like with a KA, that the engine tilt is a problem.

This is another reason I like the 2200/2300, though it is based on a Z series block, all the L mounts, oil pan, water pump and accessories bolt on.

Hes not getting it.

A Zeries block is pretty much the same as a L series block. just taller bigger bore.  Call it good. Its fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Trans will fit.

T3 has the trans mount I belive also if you dont have one already. the 200sx 5 speed mount I belive is universal.

most people use the 280zx 5 speeditseems from the Z car.

Ok I got it.... the z24will work with my 280z tranny. Just as long I use my mounts and oil pan from my L20B. Got it So my plan was to buy the z24 short block, bore out for bigger pistons? And use my A87 peanut head.

• Like 1

yes they say it works.. The Z22s are installed all the time. but most use a L series trans thats why there is NO proplem with the tilting.

also heard of the valve cover hitting the hood but not positive.

tilting only occurs when a Z series trans is used in a L motor car . then one swaps the bellhousing . Assuming these are 5 speed later model trans

I hear you. I’m just going to build up my L20B. And save the headache of make my timing chain longer and cover. I’m just looking for about 200hp. I believe I can get that with some work on my L20B short block.

200hp will be hard to achieve with the stock L20B architecture. It is possible, but will require lots of head work and a large cam, plus a good exhaust header and exhaust. This 200hp L20B won't be as fun t drive around town as a larger displacement engine like the 2200.

Your dual 45 Weber intake setup will probably require some work too, like getting the correct venturi/choke size in the carbs and possible port matching of the intake. Soft mounts between the carbs and intake are also beneficial. Don't forget to recurve your distributor, or have someone do it for you, to maximize the power potential without the risk of too much timing at the wrong place in the curve.

Again, I would consider a 2200. You can use your L20B as a donor. The only other parts you will need to find is a nice Z20 block (Z22 is ok too, but not as desirable as Z20), and the N85 casting 6" rods. Call Rebello racing for the pistons. Heck, they can probably build your motor for little over $3000, if you use your existing head.

Here's a pic of the soft mounts so you don't confuse them with the o-ring style mounts. Even Dave Rebello uses the o-ring style soft mounts now, but the old NISMO style isolators are better. Hell, those were the only ones we used when I worked for him. With a little searching, you can still find them.

Roadster_Isolator_2.jpg

Roadster_Carb_Isolator.jpg

You will want to use jet nuts on the manifold side of the soft mounts. They clear better than large 12 or 13 mm hex nuts.

Metric_JETNUT.jpg

This pic shows the centerpull linkage, the good NISMO isolators and the jet nuts used to secure them. You will also notice the notch in the manifold that was machined to clear the linkage.

Mikuni_Linkage_Small_05.jpg

If you can find a good centerpull linkage kit for the Webers, use it. It sure beats the rod style linkage and is a lot easier to tune.

This is just my Opinion.

SR20 turbos get maybe 180-200 to the ground.This is a modern motor

getting 200hp to the flywheel on a L motor is a magic trick by using money/machining skills with a manchinist you dont know ect...  A really good distributor(ignition). This is really 1960s technology

140/150hp to the ground MIGHT be possible  anymore I would not considerate a good daily driver motor( around town )

SEEN 200 with a TURBO and some other magic tricks.

A KA with a Turbo is like 250 to the ground

be honest I bet your the only 510 with in100miles where you live. Just seeing you drive one in your area  is really worth more than putting all this into it it in my opinion.

• Like 1

I hear you. I’m just going to build up my L20B. And save the headache of make my timing chain longer and cover. I’m just looking for about 200hp. I believe I can get that with some work on my L20B short block.

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

This is just my Opinion.

SR20 turbos get maybe 180-200 to the ground.This is a modern motor

getting 200hp to the flywheel on a L motor is a magic trick by using money/machining skills with a manchinist you dont know ect... A really good distributor(ignition). This is really 1960s technology

140/150hp to the ground MIGHT be possible anymore I would not considerate a good daily driver motor( around town )

SEEN 200 with a TURBO and some other magic tricks.

A KA with a Turbo is like 250 to the ground

be honest I bet your the only 510 with in100miles where you live. Just seeing you drive one in your area is really worth more than putting all this into it it in my opinion.

Yea there no 510 in my area. Lots of Z. I got a old school guy in NYC. That mess with these motors back in the days. He’s going to bore out the block. I’ll ask him about the z22 crankshaft and 6” rods. My A87 Head has a big cam and big valves already and my intake is port& polish to match my 45mmwebers and intake on the head.

• Like 1

It would be better than an LS.

Ha, you got my number...!

Just as undrivable though.

I saw a turbo'd SR20 powered 510 at Thunderhill once and I spoke to the owner about it. He said it had over 400hp to the wheels, and that it wasn't any fun to drive, simply because you could never really get on it. Top gear would spin the tires.

I think 200-250hp is about perfect for a street driven 510. Still manageable, but enough to get you arrested.

• Like 1

The OP says he already has high HP cars. Does every car need the ability to careen through a wall faster than it hit it?

Reliable, sporty, handles well..with a significant touch of pep. That should be more than enough for a near-50 year old soup can.

• Like 1

200 would b good, good weight to hp ratio. But then again that's me. Some people want 500 hp and in the process its not streetable, good for bragging rights can you drive it everyday.

I'd be beyond happy to have a 510/521 with a real 120hp to the wheels. That's a huge difference between what a stock L16 puts out.

I am comfortable enough with the size of my penis that I wouldn't need to flex to the point of drastically overpowering a Datsun.