Early Toyota Celicas

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're around.

IMG_5648.JPG

Those years weren't sold in great numbers, and they are prone to rust severely and quickly. Even the later years up to 82 are getting harder to find. 

sure miss our 78. :D

guys like you owned them and didn't know how to adjust the points. stop running and took to the dump.

Ok just a joke butyou know where Im going with this one.

They were good cars. Most die of neglect by owners and move up to Lexus when given a chance.

Datsun are only around cause Datsun owners are hoarders that's why they still plentiful in back yards.  but still suffer from neglect ,lack of money and knowledge (usually meaning young entry level car mechnics)

tHE TRUCKS SEEMS TO SURVIVE LONGER even dough the motors are close to the same if not the same

In Australia this is a diffent story. Tons of Datsun still on the road ,Toyats and Old Rotary Mazdas. Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols.

• Like 1

I wish I never let my ‘75 Celica go. I learned how to drive “spiritedly” in that car, it was fun as hell on our dirt road. In fact, that and my step dads ‘73 were what got me into old imports to begin with. He used to take us to the local grocery store and sit us on a bench on the sidewalk, then do doughnuts and drift around till the tires told us it was time to go.

But there is still hope for me because I still have a couple

In 1986 I sold my 69 Camaro for $250

I even gave away my two door Dodge Dart

I even wish I had my 1987 Suzuki Samurai that I had for 25 years I just got rid of that 2013

Gosh in the nineties I gave away my 81 Celica all the stupid things I've done

Wow the Mustang does look like a Celica I never noticed that

Correction, the Celica looks a lot like the Mustang.

In fact, if you look at most 70's Japanese cars they are all some sort of amalgamation or reinterpretations of 60's US cars. One of the things I like about them :)

• Like 2

Back in the days, I had a 75 coupe.  The lift backs were very cool but they need to get smog.  Yes, they did copy American cars.  Check out the early mustang 65 bumpers and they look like the Celica, "smiley" bumpers.

This may be a little bit of brand bias, but I really believe in the early 1970's, Datsun made much better cars and trucks across the whole model line than Toyota.

Compare a 521 to a Hilux truck.  Compare a Corolla to a 510.  Compare a Celica to a 240Z.

Oh and Honda, they had the N600.

• Like 3

This may be a little bit of brand bias, but I really believe in the early 1970's, Datsun made much better cars and trucks across the whole model line than Toyota.

Compare a 521 to a Hilux truck. Compare a Corolla to a 510. Compare a Celica to a 240Z.

You're right about Datsuns better

early 70s Celicas did look sexy and whenever I saw one especially at night I knew there would be a hot girl inside driving so it's speed up to take a look.

• Like 1

Correction, the Celica looks a lot like the Mustang.

In fact, if you look at most 70's Japanese cars they are all some sort of amalgamation or reinterpretations of 60's US cars. One of the things I like about them :)

So true.....

• Like 1

Compare a 521 to a Hilux truck.  Compare a Corolla to a 510.  Compare a Celica to a 240Z.

To most people, Toyota didnt even matter until the late 80s and then finally they won over American in the 1990s.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wish I had one.....

Would rather stick my 7M all motor into something a little lighter than my Tokyo Taxi (Cressida).

IMG_5648.JPG

I'd figure out a way to put an IRS under it.

Asked my son about putting it in an older Z-car, and he said NO!

Love and will always regret selling my 77 Celica GT Liftback,  awesome cars except for the ESP would spout out false issues.

Battle lines between Dats and Toys from the 60s-80's, are pretty even but the Datsun set itself apart with the 510 for the win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...