Heres yet another 620 4 to 5 speed trans question..

Perez620

On some five speed Datsun transmissions. if fifth gear, and reverse are in a straight line in the shift patters, you cannot go directly from fifth to reverse, or from reverse to fifth gear. you have to move the shift lever to neutral, back over towards the 1-2 position, and then back to the reverse-fifth position.

You almost would never go between reverse and fifth in normal driving anyway.  But when trying to find all the gears in a transmission out of a vehicle, you might try to go between reverse and fifth.

• Like 1
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can feel the 4 gears then I do have to kinda force it over but it’ll only allow me to go down for reverse but it won’t let me go up for 5th

2 suggestions,

1st try rotating the input or output shaft while you try to get into 5th....

The other thing is may have to open it up... ( i only suggest that as a last resort)

I got a 4spd for my 521 that had been sitting for a little and luckily for me it had a removable pan on the bottom, i actually had to free up something on the inside to get my 3rd and 4th to work. I don't know part names so I don't know what was stuck...

I don't know if that's as easy to do with the transmission you got. You may have to pull the tail housing to look at the insides....

Are there any markings on the transmission?

Maybe a pic would help, some guys here might see something that could identify it as a 5spd or not...

• Like 1

On some five speed Datsun transmissions. if fifth gear, and reverse are in a straight line in the shift patters, you cannot go directly from fifth to reverse, or from reverse to fifth gear. you have to move the shift lever to neutral, back over towards the 1-2 position, and then back to the reverse-fifth position.

You almost would never go between reverse and fifth in normal driving anyway.  But when trying to find all the gears in a transmission out of a vehicle, you might try to go between reverse and fifth.

I did attempt to go in and out of fifth to reverse from fourth many times and still no fifth. When I go to try to shift into fifth its very solid, like there isn't a gear there. 

After digging up my old 620 shop manual I did a VIN decoder on it and it seems that its actually out of a KC but was fitted with a 4 spd...

Would've been nice to know before purchasing. I guess you learn the hard way sometimes 

• Like 1

Just got a call from the salvage company in Oregon I purchased the supposed 5 spd from..

They said that it's not worth shipping the trans back to them as of cost reasoning. They were also kind enough to refund me the cost of the trans and shipping. Very thankful since most places wouldn't own up to their mistake and refund the customer their money. I should've been more proactive though and decoded the VIN before purchasing... I guess I will know next time around. 

Gonna try and post pics of it up regardless to double check it. Hopefully I can post these, never posted pics 

2 suggestions,
1st try rotating the input or output shaft while you try to get into 5th....

The other thing is may have to open it up... ( i only suggest that as a last resort)
I got a 4spd for my 521 that had been sitting for a little and luckily for me it had a removable pan on the bottom, i actually had to free up something on the inside to get my 3rd and 4th to work. I don't know part names so I don't know what was stuck...
I don't know if that's as easy to do with the transmission you got. You may have to pull the tail housing to look at the insides....

Are there any markings on the transmission?
Maybe a pic would help, some guys here might see something that could identify it as a 5spd or not...

Who did you buy this from? Ask for a refund or a severe discount.

You can keep the front case from that and open your options of transmissions to look for. (71B from Z-series engines.)

Post pictures of your "5 speed" Datzenmike can I dentify if it is actually a five speed.

Datzenmike can probably identify it, tell you its gear ratios, and what model and year of vehicle it is out of.

• Like 1

Definitely a 4 speed. The rectangular cover plate with 6 bolts and a flat breather makes it so.

BvMKlFr.jpg

Five speeds don't have this.

FXErzV2.jpg

The '80 and up 5 speeds had the reverse check sleeve in them. If you are in 5th gear it's impossible to shift down into reverse. You would have to shift into the neutral gate and pull over to the left at least to the 3/4 gate then shift back to the right and down into reverse. I put the rear case from a diesel 5 speed on my '79 5 speed to get the taller 'ears' and shorter shift throw, the reverse check sleeve was an added bonus.

• Like 2

Wow. Definitely should’ve checked here at Ratsun before pulling the trigger. Very fortunate they were understanding about it though.

So Mike, none of the 5 speeds have that 6 bolt cover plate? Even in the late 70’s 620 5spds?

• Like 1

No, the cover plate was on the 4 speeds only. The last 71B 4 speed was used in the October '82 720, the '79 280zx and probably the '80 810 as the '81 Maxima's did not have them. There was actually a 71C 4 speed in the '88-'89 Hardbody but no cover plate on it.

• Like 2

The salvage company I purchased the trans through is below:

Caveman Auto Parts

Grants Pass, OR

844-341-6804

I personally was assisted by Kurt. He was very helpful from beginning to end.

• Like 1

Thoughts on this rear end? Looks to be a 4.11 and is out of a ‘79 620. I’m needing it to drop into place of my current 4.625 rear diff on my ‘74

Good price as well. $150 shipped from a salvage yard

0_FE96282-_CBC7-4_BAE-_B38_D-56_FFF7_DD1

21_E72_EB1-2_C55-4042-9_A18-_A4_E85_AF38

31_AA38_F6-_DD3_A-4_F9_F-_B046-406_AA327

37_E73_AFD-_A7_AB-4565-_AB94-0_C68_BD45_

38555_E9_C-_CDBF-4500-_AE9_A-_FF220_DF05

49_DD04_DC-2_F6_F-40_AE-_A4_FC-_A2_FA581

6_A653_B78-24_F6-48_EB-98_E9-_C236972_AA

AF910_CEC-0_FC7-4252-8419-7_EE1_B98_CB55

E81_B6_B3_A-_F868-40_B7-8915-5_D6870_E4_

• Like 1

Buy it install it with proper lube and drive it. $150 shipped is not bad price. Several years ago I shipped a 4.88 to Redeye and shipping was $40. I would guess shipping would be $60 to $80 now.

It’s currently on its way to me now. They didn’t have a speedo pinion so I’ll have to find one but that’s not a huge necessity I guess

He said wouldn’t be over $50 for shipping possibly less. Found it in Nebraska and I’m in Kansas so got lucky there

• Like 1

Speedo pinions should match rear end.

Until he is fixed on what rear goes in the gear is irrelevant

My plan is to put in the 4.11 I just purchased. I’ll obviously wait to get a 5 spd to put the proper speedo pinion in.

I wonder if a 4spd and 5spd speedo pinion will interchange if needing one for the same rear

• Like 1

My plan is to put in the 4.11 I just purchased. I’ll obviously wait to get a 5 spd to put the proper speedo pinion in.

I wonder if a 4spd and 5spd speedo pinion will interchange if needing one for the same rear

I'm dealing with this in my 521.... there is a longer Speedo assembly that is around 3 5/8 long..... and a shorter one that measures around 3 1/8 or around that...

The shorter ones seem to be plentiful, the longer ones not so much.....

From what I've been reading the longer tail transmissions seem to have the shorter setup....

• Like 2