I have Datsuns and I'm stuck

I have to Datsuns a 1971 1200 sedan 2 door and a 1973 Datsun pickup truck

I am stuck these cars have been sitting in my garage and on the street for 10 years

At this rate they're never going to be on the road again I just want to drive my Datsuns

I'm not very good mechanically I'm the kind of person that can take a car that runs like crap and the next thing you know it won't start and I'm stuck and don't know what to do

But I really want to get my Dotson's on the road I'm not selling them

My other problem is I'm 53 years old I'm not able to fix things maybe I can put clutch slave cylinder maybe bleed it properly

So basically I'm 53 I'm not really fun to be around I don't have that much money and I feel stuck these cars are never going to be enjoyed

Anyway I'm going to try to get my Datsun pickup started and I want to try to attend the Datsun swap meet in Manteca next Saturday that is my goal if I can get this thing started and running

I need some kind of guidance and advice

On my Datsun pickup truck I have a problem with my hood hinge that goes underneath the windshield wipers and bolts onto the frame one side is broken I feel stuck I don't know what to do

Anyway I'm the guy with the 23-page nightmare disaster on disc brakes Wilwood Datsun pickup truck I can't find that post maybe it's too old.

Anyway I feel better I don't know how to post pictures but this weekend I'm going to take a couple of videos and try to post it to YouTube and then leave a link somewhere on here

• Like 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620...take the hood off.

Stressing over the hood hinge won't get it running.

Suck, squish, bang, blow. If you have that, fresh gas, and a battery...it should run.

Stopping though, is a different matter all together.

Cars that sit for too long WILL require attention to the brake system, specifically to the hydraulics.

Remove battery and take to a parts store to test. They do it for free and if it is good they'll get it charged up for you.

Go!

• Like 2

Last year I put a brand new battery in and haven't looked at it since I should be able to get it started

I'm really stuck on This Hood hinge that bolts to the truck not the hood I don't want to spend lots of money until I know it can be fixed I can't see how it works to get fixed I'm going to take a video of it this weekend and post it on YouTube I'm not sure if you can still post pictures here like on Photobucket

Thenn I have like a 75-mile one way trip to Manteca for the swap meet

• Like 1

Fixing the hood is down the road not this week

The brakes were always bad so I'm kind of used to that

I have a lot of play in my clutch once it goes to the floor I have about 2 in to shift the gear

I can handle all that all I need to do is get it started and put it on insurance and I can leave early before there's no traffic

I think my major problem is I don't know how to repair much and I'm no fun to be around

But I'll give it a shot at the Manteca Datsloco car show and swap meet on May 19th

• Like 1

On my 1971 Datsun 1200 sedan I took all of the doors off the hood the trunk and I'm not sure if I have all of the bolts but I just go to a junkyard and try to find the bolt or is there an easier way to do this like eBay

• Like 1

best to sell them ASAP so somebody can make use of them  and or the parts

this is a common trait all to often.Datsun owners are a strange breed.

Im helping a guy now on what to do over the computer and it isnt working. So I just gave up!!! Most dont want to learn and not motivated either to learn. They are really very simple cars/trucks. esp the pre 75 models.

One will do a KA swap than just buy a new Weber carb and get the truck running , But having a car truck on side of house with a KA installed and wire harness a mess is cooler I guess.

• Like 6

How far from your place? Does not sound safe.

Alameda Oakland to Manteca is about 70 miles I'm sure in the morning with no traffic it would be okay if it's too much I will just use my AAA towing and have it towed home for free

I just want to get started with this truck I want to enjoy it

• Like 2

best to sell them ASAP so somebody can make use of them and or the parts

Im helping a guy now on what to do over the computer and it isnt working. So I just gave up!!! Most dont want to learn and not motivated either to learn. They are really very simple cars/trucks. esp the pre 75 models.

One will do a KA swap than just buy a new Weber carb and get the truck running , But having a car truck on side of house with a KA installed and wire harness a mess is cooler I guess.

My Datsuns are not for sale I'm 53 years old and I had a Datsun when I was younger

This will eventually be on the road I just need some guidance and some suggestions I'm thinking if I bring it to the swap meet I can get some ideas

• Like 1

You certainly don't need a car show to get ideas. Cruise the internet. Ask Google questions and put RATSUN at the end and the search engines will search through all Ratsun posts first then all others. Select images and pictures will show you what you want. Not satisfied? cross reference the answers to get a consensus. Start a topic about it and ask opinions here.

I wouldn't be driving something that's been sitting this long. Safety and reliability issues. Batteries that sit around can discharge and this shortens their life. I would want to drive it around the block with lots of restarts to be sure it's OK. Brakes need to work so you are not a danger to everyone else on the road. Gas tank could be rusty and the fuel filter plug up 20 miles away. Rad hose rot and blow 15 miles from home, fan belt, alternator stop charging, headlights blow the fuse..... Tire could be all weather checked and blow out. Transmission or diff may have leaked dry and seize up, destroying it. Best these thing are found out closer to home.

• Like 4

One of my problems is space both cars totaled 26 and a half feet long and my garage is only like 26 ft long I have wheel dollies ordered I'm going to try to make both cars fit in the garage so I can work on one in the other one can sit I'm kind of stuck because the Datsun 1200 is in pieces and has to be in the garage until it's put back together to be on the street and the Datsun truck it's hard to do work on the street where I live if I don't have a garage

• Like 1

best to sell them ASAP so somebody can make use of them  and or the parts

Im helping a guy now on what to do over the computer and it isnt working. So I just gave up!!! Most dont want to learn and not motivated either to learn. They are really very simple cars/trucks. esp the pre 75 models.

Easier? Sell the 1200 and make some room.

• Like 3

I'm hoping at the car show swap meet I can talk to some people and they can give me some ideas how to do something easier

What does this mean?

And why are you still on the internet? Go start your truck already.

Want easy? Sell what you have and buy something running...like a Civic. Then buy a running Datsun...and keep it in running shape without doing things over your head.

I'm probably that guy and I did listen to your advice from Datsuns

The Datsun 1200 is more fun to drive I'm hoping to fit both cars in the garage if I angle one into the corner

If I remember correctly my garage is 12 ft wide and 26 ft deep in the Cars come out to 26 and a half feet

What does this mean?

And why are you still on the internet? Go start your truck already.

Want easy? Sell what you have and buy something running...like a Civic. Then buy a running Datsun...and keep it in running shape without doing things over your head.

I'm on the internet because I am at work right now I work in the evening

I'm not buying a Civic I'm keeping my pre 1975 California Datsun no smoggy

I've seen that one before I'm going to sell this car and buy it later and it never happens

I would shoot videos of the cars tomorrow but I'm not going to have time on Sunday I will put videos of these two cars

I want to get the truck reliable do the body work and spray it with proxy primer sealer

There was pictures of the truck on Ratsun but I cannot find them from 4 or 5 years ago

All positive comments about how clean it was