Newly acquired 78 620

Mesk1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Automatics have a flex plate rather than a flywheel. If an automatic you will need a manual flywheel. Again trucks are 240mm and cars used the 225mm pressure plates and clutch. If going with a car flywheel you will need the matching release bearing collar for it to work.

Also automatics have a cover on the end of the crank that needs prying off if fitting a manual flywheel. The end of an automatic crankshaft also won't have a pilot bushing in the end so get one of those too. About $4.

This is what Mike is refering to.  The crankside in the picture.

Flex_Plate_Spacers_Noted.jpg

Last pics for the day. Toon off power steering fan, need to get ac off and then tranny. Fingers crossed for a good clutch lol.

https://imgur.com/a/B4fWZiZ

Excuse the lack of mechanic tools and stands. All on the floor for now.

Found the wiring diagrams. The the main harness is composed of three sections. Electicalf chassis and main. Have all those mapped out. Anyone go ahead and keep the truck intake mani? I have the entire harness just wanted to bounce ideas or unknowns to me.

• Like 1

I would keep it as it is manifold matches wiring. I think the easiest way to deal with the Harness is use complete harness minus what you do not need.

I did yhis on my 520 and I used a 1980 720 wiring harness.

This way all of you ring is the year of motor and trans. Get a set of depinning tools because you will need to repin the head light plugs and add in for the second head lamp because the hardbody only had 2 headlights. You will have a much better harness when you get done.

• Like 1

Cool thanks for he advice Charlie. My bro was looking at me like why are you worried about wiring? You have the entire thing! Lol. Last night I printed out main harness diagram, electric, and main, it’s split in the drawings but not in the harness, still a good map though. Will do a bit more dismantling of the stuff I don’t need, I will keep the ac stuff to see if I can machine a bracket in the power steering location. Have to take measurements. I don’t see a possibility of mounting it anywhere else. Unless I redo a custom steering rack which I’m not really interested in doing. First goal is to get it running I’ll worry about ac then.

• Like 1

Remember Pushing the harness throught the firewall shortest first unless the is like a ground wire that is close and will allow more room for the next plug. 

The power steering pump on the 85/86 is on the passenger side of the engine  I am leaving it atached to the engine along with the AC compressor, belt adjuster and compressor bracket.  If you want the power steering hoses just say so..