1.4L race motor needs more ...

TimGreen

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My car would be right on 1525lbs without the cage. Over the years we've added to the cage and it's between 125-130lbs. My car is a bit of a porker, it's 1787 with me in it (I'm 140lbs). It's a lot of little things that add up. The A15 is 12lbs more than the A12, the 60 series or 63 series transmission will add 16lbs, the upgraded rear end is an extra 15lbs, the ZX struts and brakes are boat anchors that add at least 20lbs. My car is also still all steel panels and that's an extra 16lbs. I'll be taking another 50-60lbs out of the car by going to a LiPo battery redoing the exhaust as well as milling out some non critical items.

Using an ITC spec cage kit would likely add 100lbs to a 210 so I'd plan on around 1750 to 1800lbs but if your not being held to SCCA rules you could likely get it closer to the low 1700s.

While I whine about the 510s and BMW 2002s blowing past me down the straights, I really enjoy the nimbleness of an A-series powered car. Even if I built an all out motor I'd still be 5-8% down on power. I'm willing to give that up beciase you can absolutely drive the wheels off the A-series powered cars, if you ever seen me drive mine or the videos I sometimes post you know what I mean. The cars remind me of my my days club racing a 125GP bike, you had to be on it every inch of every lap and that's what makes them fun. I also have a Formula 500 I use as an autocross car that I could take to vintage races, while its fast it lacks the hooligan factor that I enjoy in small bore coupes.