Wheels, rims and tires

oukippy

Hello,

I'm still looking for a 620 but I'm already thinkig about changing rims and I have a question.

French law is restrictive :

• wheel diameter must be stock or +1 inch => 14 or 15 inches ?
  • wheel width must be stock or +/-1 cm => impact ?

Consequently I want to know which size I must look after (I understood that the bolt pattern is 6 x 5,5") for the rim and the tire ?

I was looking at autoanything.com (as an example, I don't know where to look at). Can I trust their database when they show me https://www.autoanything.com/wheels-rims/ion-alloy-71-wheels for a 620?

Thank you for your help and patience !

oukippy

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're buying rims for a truck you don't have yet? You'd better wait. Spend the time and money on something more important like brakes, steering, suspension and eight other things.

Depending on the build date on the tag on the driver's door jam, different years had different widths. The '78 and '79 had the widest for the disc brakes.....

up to 02 '73......... 4"

03 '73- 07 '77...... 4.5"

08 '77on.............. 5"

• Like 1

Hey there oukippy,

I don't believe you said you were buying rims, only that you had a question. That being said, Mike's data is correct. 

As for those online rim sites, many (including the one you posted a link to) don't support Datsuns let alone 620s. Best to find the size you're looking for and search that way.

Best of luck Bother. 

• Like 1

The picture may be a representative one used for all of that style rather than one for a 620 another for a Dodge, a different one for 4 or 6  or even 8 bolt... and then there's different widths and diameters.

• Like 1

The '78 and up stock wheels are stamped differently and have clearance for the disc brake caliper. Many who have had '78s have upgraded to the larger caliper and vented rotor on the later 720 and early D21 Hardbody, and I've never heard they wouldn't clear.

Spacers are alright if used sparingly but check your fender clearance.

• Like 1

78/79 620 wheels clear the larger 720 & early hardbody (d21) rotors and calipers.  The center hole in the wheel is smaller than the the later model hubs.  Mike Klotz turns down the center of the later  720 and earlier D21 hubs to fit  the 78/79 wheels.