What's best clutch set for my B210?

I'm doing an auto to manual swap on my 1976 B210. I'm wondering what the best kind/brand of clutch set to get is for daily driving? I have a 1977 as well, and it has a cheapo Duralast set in it. I'm not especially thrilled with it. I don't know much about clutches, so any info is helpful. TIA!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve never been a duralast fan. I’ve had decent luck with Raybestos in stock situations, although I did explode one in my mgb turbo...granted, the power plant isn’t stock. That clutch was just fine with the stock tbird turbo 2.3, but after injectors, intercooler upgrade, and over doubling the boost...clutch went kablammo. I guess I went one sidestep too many.

• Like 2

Exedy/Daiken brand is a good stock brand

I got mine from Importrp.com  but Im sure other places will have exedy also

YOu will need to find a the right T/O bearing set up for this. The kit usually has a bearing but not the carrier.

If duralast says made in Jpan it might be a Daiken already who knows. But really Mexico or china.  Mexico cant be that bad I guess as they make a lot of Datsun back then in the day

• Like 1

guess you need to find out how many splines you have on your trans.

The Brute Power shows a T/O bearing on the sleeve

the others only have the Bearing and not the sleeve. I would go Exedy myelf but I don't know if you have a trans already and have a T/O bearing and sleeve already to use and just swap the bearing.  But the BrutPower sounds cool but it does show the whole T/O bearing assembly

• Like 1

guess you need to find out how many splines you have on your trans.

The Brute Power shows a T/O bearing on the sleeve

the others only have the Bearing and not the sleeve. I would go Exedy myelf but I don't know if you have a trans already and have a T/O bearing and sleeve already to use and just swap the bearing. But the BrutPower sounds cool but it does show the whole T/O bearing assembly

I don't have any clutch parts yet. Just the flywheel and hydraulics.

guess you need a trans to get the correct spline count

Im not a B210 expert but I did stay at a Holiday INN Express once  So best to get a 210 guy for expertise on this one

Lol. Very funny!

Specs: Diaphragm type

7 1/8" clutch diameter; 18 tooth spline; 13/16" input shaft diameter.

I don't have that sleeve, so it looks like the Brute Power is the way to go on this car. I'm going to replace my cheapo Duralast with an Exedy on my other car, because I have all the parts to swap out on that one, and I'm just not happy with the Duralast clutch.

• Like 1

Price shouldn't be the deciding factor unless you have picked what you want and then find it cheaper somewhere else. If this was an easy to get at thing like a headlight that burned out it's fine, but you want years and tens of thousands of trouble free miles out of it. For this, spend as much as you can on quality.

I think all the 56 and 60 series 4 and 5 speeds are the same clutch, (180mm) but measure across the friction surface on the flywheel you have for the correct diameter. If you happen to have the 63A dogleg transmission I think the clutch disc is different (larger) spline.

The highest clamping force (360K) pressure plate is #30210-N1600 about $100 @ Nissan

• Like 1

Price shouldn't be the deciding factor unless you have picked what you want and then find it cheaper somewhere else. If this was an easy to get at thing like a headlight that burned out it's fine, but you want years and tens of thousands of trouble free miles out of it. For this, spend as much as you can on quality.

I think all the 56 and 60 series 4 and 5 speeds are the same clutch, (180mm) but measure across the friction surface on the flywheel you have for the correct diameter. If you happen to have the 63A dogleg transmission I think the clutch disc is different (larger) spline.

The highest clamping force (360K) pressure plate is #30210-N1600 about $100 @ Nissan

Datzenmike is right here. All the transmissions EXCEPT the 63a dogleg 5spd use the same clutch disk (18tooth). The 63a uses a clutch disk with a different spline pattern (same as L series actually) 24 tooth, and I believe that 5spd was only available on the 78 hatchback.

I like the LUK clutch kit from Rockauto personally. Mine came with a JAPAN marked throwout bearing.

YdABFdF.jpg

It's a 56A, Mike. Yes, of course, price is not the deciding factor. That's why I asked you guys.

What does that mean highest clamping force?

Clamping force is the pressure exerted by the pressure plate to hold the clutch disc to the flywheel. 360Kg is 792 pounds of grip.

The other pressure plate for the non 5 speed has 315 Kg of clamping force. The optional 63A 5 speed clutch is a nice mild upgrade for the A14 B-210 and the same price.

I don't know how after market clutches  are compared. You have to take their word they are better and hide behind Stage 1 stage, 2 and so on. There are not a lot of clutch makers and they can easily be painted and put in different boxes. There used to be a special Sport Option 225mm clutch for the Maxima with 780 kg of clamp but they are NLA now from the dealer.... bet the replacement by after market are just a regular 550 kg.