Transmission problem

76_620

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have had this happen on the same transmission in a '72 521. It was not fixable by me and had to be replaced. It can be loosened out of 4th by taking apart but it will most likely do this again because of worn parts.

If it has the l20b motor it would have the right bellhousing...

Even if it's the z20 motor you can swap the bell housing, that's what I'm doing...

I know there are short and long transmissions... if it's the short the driveline shouldn't have to be modified...

They do that when they get worn out.  Or the nut on the back of the tailshaft came loose allowing it to overshift.

Anything is repairable, but for the money it would cost you to have someone do it, you may as well invest in a 5spd.

I think you are thinking of the 71B transmission, this is the  F4W63L in a 510.

Found a 720 pickup at a local junkyard 5spd, would that bold up to the l16 ? And if so would the driveshaft need to be shortened ?

Only under these 3 conditions....

Must be 2wd, or you won't have a speedometer. The 4x4 are driven off the transfer case.

Must be an '80 model 720 that had the L20B engine that year, all other years were Z series or diesel.

The transmission came in two lengths short 26" or long 31.5. The short one would allow you to not have to shorten your drive shaft

You would still have to modify your transmission mount but that would be all the heavy lifting needed.