Datsun Speedometer with KA24DE

1979_datsun_620

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll assume you have a '96 KA 5 speed?????

It will have an electronic speed sensor that won't work on a 620 speedometer. At all. After '79, speedometer cables clip onto the speedometer gauge, the 620 cable screws onto the gauge so a 300zx cable is no good.

If you have the '79 transmission laying around, take the speedometer drive sleeve out of the tail. Should be a 19 tooth or White plastic gear on it. This gear is intimately matched to your 4.11 differential gear ratio to spin the speedometer gauge at the correct MPH reading. It may be discolored and look pale bluish but not BLUE. On the side of the sleeve is a slot that the key fits that locks it in place with a 10mm bolt.

MY7CgEK.jpg

On the right is what you should see.
On the left the sleeve has been rotated 180 degrees and a new slot cut with an angle grinder. The sleeve can now be installed in the KA trans basically upside down and bolted it. Now you can keep your 620 speedometer cable. This worked for me using a later '80 or newer sleeve in an older '79 zx 5 speed in my 620. Keep fingers X ed

It might just work for you but no harm trying, easy enough to do and reversible if it doesn't.

pre '80s 71B speedometer sleeve mount bolt at top...

QwCtycb.jpg

'80 and newer 71B and 71C speedometer sleeve mount bolt at bottom....

EUZPLj7.jpg

• Like 5