Photo
- - - - -

Those stories you hear from previous Datsun people.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BambooU

BambooU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cars:1969 2-door 510

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Driving a Datsun is a magnet for conversation. Whether it's your 78 year old neighbor that owned a 610 wagon or some random dude in a parking lot that had a 710 but now drives a PoS volvo, people LOVE sharing stories with me when they catch me with my dime. 

They aren't MY stories, but some are just too good to spare. Tell those stories that people tell YOU when you're out and about. Reminiscing is the best. 

I was in a Target parking lot when I heard a guy get out of his truck and yell at the top of his lungs right next to his wife: "no FUCKING WAY, MAN." It turns out that this 6'5", central coast 50's guy had a '72 510 in the SAME color and he couldn't be more excited to tell me all about it. He dropped it to un-drivability, put a L20 in it for five years, ditched it for an SR, went back to an L18 after the car got TOTALED. He even tried to get his son started on the Datsun trend, but he wouldn't go for it (dumb kid) and settled on a maxima for his first car. 

Share your second hand stories.

#2 MikeRL411

MikeRL411

78 'n counting...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,500 posts
  • Cars:67RL411, 90 240SX, 97J30T

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Many times I have met older ladies [of a certain age] who have said "Oh, my daddy bought me one of those when I graduated from High School !"  I'm talking about my 411.

Edited by MikeRL411, 19 April 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#3 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Datsuns are those cars that brings back fond memories when life was simpler, when shade tree mechanics can work on their cars. My sons pop the hood in his hyundai genesis, and jokingly asked him "where's the engine?"

#4 ratpatrol66

ratpatrol66

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Cars:2 66 Nissan Patrols and a temp 69 Patrol

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

A lady followed me for several miles until I stopped. She told me her dad had a Patrol when she was young. He would take her and siblings for drives into the mountains many times over the years. He would buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter for lunch. She said he had passed away years prior and damned if I got a tear in my eye. She was in a hurry and had to go. I wanted to give her my Patrol for a weekend so she could take her kids out for a drive in the mountains.

#5 Seeker > 620 KC

Seeker > 620 KC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Cars:1979 620 KC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

The 2nd time I came to the Datsun event in Canby I had plans to also visit my niece in Corvallis, and to visit a retired co-worker in Tenino WA, so  I flew into Portland and was going to rent a car.

There was the ever dreaded delay to de-board the plane. I was standing in my isle seat waiting to get out into the isle and off the plane. Was driving to straight to Canby so I was wearing my black NW Datsun T-shirt that had Datsun in Script across the back that I bought  at Canby the year before.

A big bearded guy three rows back spoke up asked me what Datsun I owned, so I told him. Then he started telling me about his Dad's 620 and how his dad gave it to him and he was making it roadworthy, and mentioned a couple issues. I told him I was on my way to a big Datsun event and encouraged him to come, and bring his 620 if it could make it.

All the bored/frustrated folks standing around us were listening in for something to do and pass the time.  When the bearded guy finished speaking another mother (with her daughter) spoke up saying her dad bought her a used 510 to commute to college back in the day. Then a well dressed business guy chimed in telling about his special edition Z.  Other's chimed in about their neighbors and funny stories about them.

A bunch of strangers were suddenly sharing Datsun stories for about a half hour standing in the isles of an airplane waiting to de-board. It was the most pleasant plane delay I've ever had. Now I always wear a Datsun T-shirt whenever I fly.

#6 240zness

240zness

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Cars:'71 240z, '80 200sx

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

^ Actually sounds kind of annoying... Nah

All good

#7 240zness

240zness

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Cars:'71 240z, '80 200sx

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Don't have a lot of these stories .. yet.

Was pleasantly surprised that my first uber ride was from a guy in a San Diego Datsun club , he used to race triumphs against Zs (forgot what track in SD). Said only one Z left in the club , "heavily modified"

Said they could corner with em , but up the hill they had nothing.

Long ride home , from the body shop. He asked what kind of car when I got in.

#8 Seeker > 620 KC

Seeker > 620 KC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Cars:1979 620 KC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

If you’re

^ Actually sounds kind of annoying... Nah
All good

It was most pleasant vs. listening to everyone gripe about the Arline for a half hour

#9 BambooU

BambooU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cars:1969 2-door 510

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

A bunch of strangers were suddenly sharing Datsun stories for about a half hour standing in the isles of an airplane waiting to de-board. It was the most pleasant plane delay I've ever had. Now I always wear a Datsun T-shirt whenever I fly.

This is the shit I love to see. The last time I was stuck in a bus because my car was down, I got talking to a guy who had a mazda keychain. Turns out he had an NA miata that he autoX'd. 

#10 Dolomite

Dolomite

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Cars:1971 4 door 510, 2007 Crown Vic cvpi,1990 Supra turbo, 1970 MGB mutt job turbo

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

My brother and I recently went to lunch at In-N-Out burger, as I parked the 510, a guy came up and started telling me all about the 510 he had in high school. Mind you, the guy was around 60 or so. He was saying they used to get “fucked up” and rally the dirt roads around his house with his 510 and his friends datto pickup. Most of the time I like hearing the stories of older Datsun guys, most of the time they thank me for still driving one. The only ones that really irritate me are the guys that tell the retarded old “dat soon” joke, I wish they would die of gonorhrea and rot in hell.
Chrome door handles are under rated.

Link to my build thread
http://community.rat...er-project-510/

#11 whitey01

whitey01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Cars:73 Datsun 620 71 Datsun 1200 71 Datsun Motorhome

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

I'm one of those people two weeks ago I was at the grocery outlet in San Francisco by the Cow Palace and I walked out and there was a

White Datsun 1200 2 door sedan that was just like my car but had a vinyl top

I was standing by it for many minutes waiting for the owner to come out

After a while I couldn't take it anymore I had to go into the store and find this person

It turned out to be an old man with a cane he had disabled license plates on it and a cane inside the car also

The car wasn't for sale he said he would get rid of his wife before you would get rid of that car

#12 hang_510

hang_510

too ol'skool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,696 posts
  • Cars:71 2 door - LZ22 / 72 wagon - TBD

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

I've turned into that guy.
I see datsun and start talking to the owner...

"I can spend time working on the Dattos, or wasting money at the strip club. You make the call." :D

I'll put on chain mail and a dirt bike tire jock strap and drive it!!!!!

#13 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Before I had my Datsuns I talked to the owner, I just like old cars.