performance valve springs and retainers for z24 engine

Tv808

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the stock are around 115 pounds closed? One of our members 'http://community.ratsun.net/user/2344-sealik/' found a Ford spring that was 130. I can't remember exactly but it was in his build thread. He hasn't been on in a long time and his account is dormant..

• Like 1

292 webb cam with 40 over pistons 9-1 decked block milled head ported and polished compression should be around 10-1 forged rods balanced and lightened crank webber 45 sidedraft. i need a valve spring that will be stiff enough to handle the cam due to the high lift.

292 webb cam with 40 over pistons 9-1 decked block milled head ported and polished compression should be around 10-1 forged rods balanced and lightened crank webber 45 sidedraft. i need a valve spring that will be stiff enough to handle the cam due to the high lift.

You really do not need them stiffer, they will kill the cam.  You meed some that have the right closed pressure with fewer coils to compensate for the lift.

The KA24DE springs are smaller and lighter because they use 2 smaller shorter lighter valves. Not an option.

The Z24 uses an outer and an inner spring. I assume the two are added together to get to total

The outer spring pressure at lift is 115.3 pounds.

The inner spring pressure at lift is 57 pounds.

Total at lift 172.3 pounds.

The outer spring pressure closed is 50.7 pounds.

The inner spring pressure closed is 24.3 pounds

Total closed pressure of 75 pounds.

thank you for the info i appreciate it. i know everyone says the z24 isn’t a motor to build to get hp gains. it was meant for better emissions. the head is built similar to a dodge hemi where as it’s a hemispherical type head. i do know due to the low compression ratio and excessive exhaust burn that the motor is great for turbo. besides that i’m just building it to have a fun datsun/nissan engine that i could eventually put in a datsun 620 or 510 one day when i find one. i’m just a fan of nissan and datsun and have always been since i was a kid.

• Like 1

Keep us updated. The more I read the more I feel that I will be slightly, if not more disappointed with the NapZ motor - especially in my 4x4. After building performance L series motors it will be weird to drive a motor that’s all in at 4K rpm. I see the induction system as being a problem with these motors. Turbo would be nice , but a custom manifold for left hand drive would have to be made .

The problem in a nut shell is that the intake ports are too low on the head and have large bends entering or leaving the valve. Anyone who has looked at an L head will see the intakes are well above the exhaust ports and air falls down into the combustion chamber in a much straighter line. That can't be fixed on the Z series. This would limit high RPM breathing. Other than that, the valves are the same but just slightly longer. With the valves tilted over to their sides the edge of the larger intakes stick down into the cylinder so lift is limited during valve overlap as the piston nears TDC. Also the valves will touch if extended enough, although I don't know how much and again, this could only happen during valve overlap. The good news is the efficient hemi shape and the dual plugs which are very detonation resistant. All good for higher compression or turbo. The Z22 and Z24 have longer stroke than the L20B so much more torque at lower RPM.

when i finish my build i will post updates. after this build i’m leaning towards a lb20 build. if my z24 motor does what i expect it to do then i will put it in a 620 or a 510 but i want to keep it old school and build datsun engines instead of going with the sr20det or the ka24de.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Schneider cams sell valve springs #68020 that’ll support a  cam with .468/.468 valve lift, 292/292 degrees duration, 270/270 degrees duration @0.050” (web racing cams, grind number 214).

Part Number: 68020
Spring Type: Double
Spring Quantity: 8
Outside Diameter: 1.380"
Inside Diameter: 0.810"
Installed Height: 1.600"
Seat Pressure: 110 lbs
Pressure @ .600": 240 lbs
Spring Coil Bind: 0.910"