Belly Pan... who uses their's????

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 71,691 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Car is at 60K. Ran fine when I had the clutch fan which was screaming all the time. Now just electric fans on demand. Never a problem with it, but as I said only on a long uphill haul in the mountains causes more heat and at lower speeds so with less air moving from car speed the temps do go up. I'm just putting it back to the way it was built and hope to bring the cooling efficiency back up. Just for fun I filled the rad with CLR to dissolve scale, if any and soaked for 3 days. This was last summer so will have to wait till my next Canby trip to see if any difference.

Posted Image

#22 noramost

noramost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cars:510, 240Z, Pathfinder, D21

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:24 AM

i agree, you should not take the advice from a guy that made his living for 50 years diagnosing overheating problems on Japanese Cars in the hottest town in the country

Cub Scout Promise

I promise to do my best

To do my duty to God and my country,

To help other people, and

To obey the Law of the Pack

#23 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 71,691 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

Me? I don't have have any cooling problems but the one or two times on vacation last summer climbing mountains at sustained full throttle. A rare condition for me normally, the rest of the year. I notice the gauge reads much higher than I would like. In response last fall I flushed the rad and added two electric fans from a Subaru to  replace the smaller single one. They are for a wider rad so I set one in the front pushing and the other in the back pulling with maybe 4" of overlap. So I can't know in advance if any of these changes will solve anything but I'm trying for any advantage I can. Including putting the splash pan back on. 

I do disagree on running 5w oil in hot summer conditions. I wouldn't run lower than 30. Newer engines run thinner oils but I don't think old Datsuns should. All my manuals say 5W for extreme cold conditions and caution using it at highway speeds.

Posted Image

#24 flyerdan

flyerdan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cars:93 Blazer that needs parting out.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Redline makes a product called Water Wetter which is supposed to aid in heat transfer.  It's an emulsifier, which breaks the surface tension of the coolant, letting it flow better and pick up heat from hot spots better.  It would be worth a try a it's relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

Years ago my dad had a huge Uniflite boat that he pulled with a Dodge pickup, he rigged up  a spray bar in front of the radiator that would put out a mist supplied by a windshield washer pump and a big plastic jug in back.  When the temp would start to rise, he'd turn on the pump and wet the radiator down, as water is 25 times better than air for heat exchanging.  Rising temps were only an issue on long uphill pulls on hot days.

Whoever said "You can't fight city hall" had obviously never met Marvin Heemeyer.