slodat's 620 KC

slodat

I bought the one owner '78 620 King Cab from exit64 on Halloween. After leaving his house, I stopped for gas and a new set of wiper blades. It made the 75 mile drive home without incident.

I had the oil changed and swapped on a different set of front wheels and tires the next morning and headed North to Lynnwood, WA to pick up some parts for my 510. On the way back from Lynnwood it started to spit and sputter about 60mph, so I pulled off and replaced the fuel filter.

In the past six days, I have put over 1100 miles on the truck running errands and getting my new shop together. I love driving it. I have always liked the 620's I've owned. The King Cab makes all the difference in the world. I actually have room in the cab and don't feel cramped while driving it.

Last weekend LKQ had 1/2 off so I pulled a set of D21 spindles and 4x4 calipers for it.

The plan for the truck...

1. Install the stereo I have for it.
  2. Install a new engine along with some accessory changes - early style water pump & fan, GM alternator, stock carb w/no emissions, early style exhaust manifold.
  3. Front susupension & brakes - D21 spindles, 4x4 rotors & calipers. All new steering and suspension components. Lower the bottom shock mount to allow for suspension travel after re-indexing the torsion bars, install a set of Nitro Drop shocks I have from my 521 and a set of 4" blocks.
  4. Install a 3.7 differential.
  5. Reupholster the seats.
  6. Daily drive the truck and enjoy the hell out of it!

CIMG1178.JPG

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in pretty good shape. It needs some stuff - engine, dash pad, seat upholstery, fix small patch of rust through in the king cab area, re-spray the paint, tires. All stuff that I'm fine with doing. The photo above is definitely the good side.

3:70's and a 5 spd? Are you looking for a 140 MPH Ratsun?:D:D

No, looking for a quiet truck at freeway speeds.

Good buy. Buff out that paint & she'll look great!

I wish. The other side of the truck is pretty much straight surface rust - zero paint on a good portion of it! It needs to be painted.

What is up with your 521 chop. Are you going to build that up??

It is sitting in a dry garage. The king cab is going to be (already is) my daily driver. I only own the three Datsuns. King Cab gets put together first. I'm collecting part$ for the 521.

• 1 month later...

I had ordered a bunch of parts for the next big project on my 510. Some of the orders got screwed up. Others haven't arrived. It looks like the car will be on the back burner this trip home. I'll need it as a parts runner while I work on the 620. It needs some love and is about to get it!

Here's what's in store over the next two weeks:

• "New" engine. I'm putting the L20b that came in my 521 in. It has barely been broken in - like 500 miles.
  • L16 exhaust manifold, when I get it from zuum
  • New 2" exhaust all the way back. Will be quiet when done. Nothing loud or throaty. Just nice quiet.
  • Just ordered a brand new weber 32/36 today.
  • Saturn alternator swap. I'm going to do a writeup on installing one in a truck since guys are having a hard time of it.
  • New Daiken clutch. Had Dan Hall Machine Shop surface the flywheel and balance the clutch.
  • 4" lowering blocks in the back.
  • Lowering the bottom shock mount to keep suspension travel up front when I turn the torsions down a little.
  • D21 4x4 front brakes.
  • Gut the interior. POR15 the floors.

• Like 1
I'm keeping it the stock color. I really like the stock color. Plus the under hood paint is great.

Thats good news, I love my stock color but the under hood part is sort of cruddy. I think I am going to keep scrubbing and call it good.

I used to have a KC the exact same color as that one! Back in the day! If ya want that thing to be quiet inside I found that dynomat (or something equivelent) is you best freind!! Especially the KC part of the truck. Lot of road noise inside that bigger tuna can! Of coarse even my 720 KC is pretty loud inside too! All that extra sheet metal inside acts like a big guitar pickup.

I headed out to get a bite to eat a little bit ago. I was sitting behind a 4 door Sebring that was turning into a Burger King drive through. There was a huge puddle at the entrance to the parking lot. The car stopped just before it and then backed up a little. Then forward. Then stopped. I was about 4 car lengths behind them thinking they may want to get a running start at the puddle and slush in the parking lot. Then the fucking prick put it in reverse and fuckin floored it. I was literally in reverse full throttle headed backwards when the fucker caught up to me and hit me.

IMG_0353.JPG

I've been driving for 22 years. This is the first time I have ever been hit or in an accident of any kind. If he had just backed up, he wouldn't of hit me. I had anticipated it and was backing up. He fucking caught up to me and hit me.

Who the fuck did this you ask? A 16 year old who decided he wanted Taco Bell instead of Burger King. So, he threw it in reverse and floored it. This wasn't any ole 16 year old, this one had mom in the passenger seat. I think she was more pissed than he was. They have State Farm and she gave me her number. She assured me that she would pay anything the insurance didn't and take it out of his hide. Time will tell on that promise.

WHO THE FUCK BACKS UP IN A STREET????!?

Looks like I'm in the market for a left front marker light/lense, valence, chrome grill and bumper.

Of course it could be a lot worse. The front of the truck was flawless, save for the whole truck needing a re-paint. Now, I have to source all of the parts. Oh well. I'm still waiting on UPS to deliver parts that have been in Portland since Monday.