Radiator options

1979_datsun_620

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 620 did come in three core and of course they fit perfectly but the inlet is over on the left side. I tried fitting an '81-'82 Z22 rad, which has the inlet on the right. It's slightly taller and much wider and would not fit between the high beams so that was out.

A shop could refit your 2 core with a three core.

• Like 1

Places like Summit Racing ? have replacement aluminum rads. I would get the one for the 620 and just use a couple of elbows to join the top rad hose over to the left side. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sgt-cu638/overview/year/1979/make/nissan/model/620

SGT-CU638_ml.jpg

• Like 1

Look on ebay, champion has all kinds of radiators for swapped vehicles. I have a regular 510 model, it works well, especially for $200. Not sure if they have one specific for a ka 620 though. They’re three row, polished aluminum, supposedly good for 400hp.

• Like 1

A/C was a '79 factory option on the 620 using a York compressor bolted to the head where the fuel pump would be and an electric pump used, though the dealerships might install them on earlier models with the compressor under the distributor. The dealer installed ones do look sort of 'rigged up' with hoses looped around the back side of the engine. The L16/18 didn't use a clutch fan but the L20B did for sure and needed extra room forward.

• Like 1

L16/18/20B are all the same length. The L20B is 2cm (3/4") taller than the L16/18.

The L20B rad might be slightly wider (don't know) but with extra space forward you can add a third row of tubes and fins making it a least 1/3 larger capacity.

• Like 1

To avoid redundancy in threads, are there any additional modifications needed for a 74’ 620? My rad is leaking... again... and I’m looking to replace it for a L20B that’s already installed.

Post #8 shows the '74 and older have less room for a thicker rad. I think that L20Bs with the clutch fan stick out farther so a later L20B rad may be a tight fit in a '74. After market might be better.

My 73 came with a l20b & clutch fan. Fit fine with the l16 rad, seemed to cool fine too. However, it doesn't get super hot where I live.

• Like 2

That is about the same for Texas, it only stays below 80 from January & February.

I think we only got below freezing for 2-3 days this year, and that was only at night....

I've been running a VW Sirocco radiator, and it works, almost. 

Sometimes I have to run with the heater on, and if stuck in traffic, I just shut the engine off.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...