620 power steering?

sandcarsunltd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 720 pitman arm is on the outside of the frame the 620 is inside, won't work.

I used an early 280zx power steering box and the 620 pitman arm spline bolted right up. I made my own bracket to hold a 720 or Hardbody pump that used a remote reservoir on the inner fender and mounted it under the distributor where the air pump would be. A better idea would be the ones used in the 720 or later 200sx that had the integral reservoir on it, but it worked like a charm.

8ASoLwa.jpg

• Like 3

620 power steering:

300x300xpumping-irong-300x300p.jpg.pages

But it really isn't that bad if you know how to deal with non-power steering.

The only time it's hard is when it's standing still.

Just put a good pull on the wheel, and start moving, and everything get's easier.

Even on my 620, with a 12.5" Momo steering wheel, and rather fat 225x60-15 tires.

By 10 mph, it's almost effortless.

• Like 3

Yes and no. Can't get up to 10MPH when parking, so I parked farther out in the parking lots so I could just drive away. Whenever I stopped I always was thinking of how I was leaving. That was a pita. Once rolling it was easier, but PS allowed me to throw the 3,400 pound truck instantly into the other lane to avoid problems. PS may also have had better ratio it was quicker and nimbler at all speeds and at the end of a drive around town you weren't feeling like you were just leaving the gym. Anything that can get you out of trouble's way faster and reduce driver's fatigue is a good thing.

• Like 2

The 720 pitman arm is on the outside of the frame the 620 is inside, won't work.

I used an early 280zx power steering box and the 620 pitman arm spline bolted right up. I made my own bracket to hold a 720 or Hardbody pump that used a remote reservoir on the inner fender and mounted it under the distributor where the air pump would be. A better idea would be the ones used in the 720 or later 200sx that had the integral reservoir on it, but it worked like a charm.

8ASoLwa.jpg

Did the 280ZX steering box use same mounting holes, or did you have to make a bracket or drill holes in frame?

• Like 1

2 of the 3 or 3 of the 4 lined up after some filing. I have a welder now and would do it differently.

It was a lot of work but the results well worth it. With 33" tires and 3,400 pounds it was a monster.

Today I would look at electric steering from a Saturn Ion.

• Like 2

2 of the 3 or 3 of the 4 lined up after some filing. I have a welder now and would do it differently.

It was a lot of work but the results well worth it. With 33" tires and 3,400 pounds it was a monster.

Today I would look at electric steering from a Saturn Ion.

Why electric, whats’s the advantages? I saw an electric PS on a 521, and the motor was hanging low over the foot pedals. At 6’4” and size 13 shoes I really didn’t care for it.

• Like 1

Advantage? Not having to find a suitable PS steering box that will fit a truck and shorten the steering column, (I used a 720 column) hydraulic lines and adapt some sort of pump and mount to make everything work. I think there is more room on a truck for electric PS than a car. Maybe it wasn't done very well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Advantage? Not having to find a suitable PS steering box that will fit a truck and shorten the steering column, (I used a 720 column) hydraulic lines and adapt some sort of pump and mount to make everything work. I think there is more room on a truck for electric PS than a car. Maybe it wasn't done very well.

I’m still intrigued by this mechanical/ hydraulic conversion. Was the 720 column the correct shorter length that bolted right up to the box and dash? Did you end up using the 720 locking ignition, turn sig switch and clam shell?

What was it you thought might not have been done very well? Did the column look out of place? Or just the home-made pump brackets?

• Like 1

Seeker I swapped a 720 dash into the 620 complete with heater and wire harness. I used a 720 steering column and could then use the 720 clam shell and headlight and turn signal stalks on it, even managed the adjustable pulse delay wipers. To mate the column to the PS box I made a custom rag joint. The PS pump just barely cleared the steering box. It was a huge amount of work and I was very lucky and I know it.

• Like 2

I looked a Toy PS box but didn't like the drag link set up. I used a Toy SAS with a steering link from the PS box over to the passenger side by taking a lower steering knuckle and flipping it upside down and bolting it on top. This prevented bump steer. The lower two stock steering knuckles are joined together across the front. Steer the pass side and the driver's side has to follow.

• Like 3

All bolt in? Or welding fab require?

It bolted in a bit hack. But it wasn't in the best position. The rag joint setup I used at the beginning did not last either. 

I redid it later and sleeved/welded the end of the 620 column on to retain the stock column surround and ignition location. I changed out the rag joint to a u-joint slip shaft. 

The finalized column stuff starts on this page of my build thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/35996-1978-620-king-cab-4x4/page-50

I am still in the process of purging the thread of photobucket, but I made sure to update the pics of the steering fab on that page. 

• Like 2

Oh man, you're right about a lot of work. Much more than I can handle at this point. I'm out. If it was all bolt in and pressing that's easy and I might consider it. Now I see why you said you'd consider a Scion conversion instead. What's the SAS?

Is that a Toy model number, or an abbrev for a part?

SAS is short for Solid Axle Swap. If you go 4x4, you want power steering. :)

The closest to bolt in you will get is the 720 column and the 280 ZX steering box. 

• Like 4