Super Rare! Impossible to Find Parts! A Cony Van! Help!!!!!

Hey guys! I know it's not strictly a Datsun, but I found something amazing. A 1969 Cony Van. It's a shell. Glass is all good, no cracks. Body is workable. It's not all chopped up. It came with no frame, no interior. I actually was digging around online and somebody had posted it it on another forum. Apparently they had laid it on a Daihatsu frame with big mud boggers. Not the direction I would have gone, but hey to each his own. She's mine now. Originally these Conys were produced by Aichi Machine Co. for Nissan. Nissan owns them now. So technically, in another universe, if the Kei thing had caught on in America, she would have been a Datsun. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. It looks almost identical to a Subaru 360 Van. I'm definitely going to build a one off. Custom everything and I'd appreciate any help you guys can get me! Thanks

• Like 3
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks almost identical to a Subaru 360 Van. I'm definitely going to build a one off. Custom everything and I'd appreciate any help you guys can get me! Thanks

A friend here is building a Subaru Sambar van on a tube frame chassis with a 1200cc Yamaha motorcycle engine in the middle. I need to get some pics of that...

• Like 4

I like what your cooking! I'd be scared the wheels would melt off . I want to put the engine in the back. Not under the rear seat like the O.G. setup. I want it water cooled. A 4 banger would be amazing if it could fit. 

There are a good amount of busa/zx14 swapped, mid engine minis out there. Granted I’m not familiar with the size of the cony, but bike engines are tiny. That said, I have no idea what people with those swaps have done to address reverse.

I read on a mini forum that they’re using some parts from quaife and some fabrication to achieve reverse. One guy used honda goldwing trike parts as they’re equipped with reverse. Hell, the newer goldwing v6 would be insane in that little ride.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...