Bracing a hydraulic louver press

I have a louver press for punching 3'' louvers. the machine is an older unit and has preformed as required. I have read that minimal flex is key for clean punches. The punches I have seen the machine do are alright...  I am uploading a picture of the press to see where other members might consider the weak points of the frame. what sections should require additional bracing or gussets.

20180409_144808_1.jpg
20180409_144801.jpg
20180409_141421.jpg
20180409_140202_1.jpg
Point_Blur_Apr072018_083602.jpg
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The triangulation seems to be good.  What you need is a firm foundation.  If you have a permanent location, consider drilling a series of large diameter holes, investing in some rebar, and pouring a well grounded base for those triangular sheet metal "feet". at least 3 bolts per.  Good luck !

LoL, a home type press....

I've been around industrial sheet metal equipment for many years, and that square tube frame stuff doesn't even come close on the strength scale.

Find a place you can pick up some 1/2" scrap steel plate, and cut some out to completely cover all the open air space on that frame, on both sides.

Move the pump to the back, as it will be in the way to plate over that frame.

LoL, a home type press....

I've been around industrial sheet metal equipment for many years, and that square tube frame stuff doesn't even come close on the strength scale.

Find a place you can pick up some 1/2" scrap steel plate, and cut some out to completely cover all the open air space on that frame, on both sides.

Move the pump to the back, as it will be in the way to plate over that frame.

LoL? every louver press for automotive application I've ever seen has been custom made. The machine punches fine and has been reliably used for over 20 years, just looking to stiffen it up. As far as tearing the thing apart to fully box, ideally sure? that would make it stiff, but not practical since it already punches fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am uploading a picture of the press to see where other members might consider the weak points of the frame. what sections should require additional bracing or gussets.

Clearly he didn't mean what he said.   :poke:   He just wants to show us his perfect machine???   

Twisting and vertical frame stretch are your potential issues.  Plating the sides is the next step.  Since there's no lateral bracing - only vertical - its going to try to twist if you have to apply much force.    Plating the back section where the pump sits will do the most to reduce this.  Then you could put external bracing over the plating to help reduce the top half of the frame from moving separately from the bottom half.  If you look at the frame from above, there appears to be no bracing left to right.