620 LWB with wide 18's?

2one8

So I have some wheels from a previous project that never got used, they are 18x10.5 with really low offsets. Due to the low offsets they are proving to be very difficult to sell. Well I'm also starting a 1976 620 LWB project that I want to come out similar to this photo... low to the ground, wide wheels with meaty rubber. The wheels in the photo are 15 inch with 275/60 tires. Those come out to 711 mm overall height. The 18s with a 295/40 would come out to 693 mm overall, so they would be slightly smaller overall. My question is, will 18's look too large on the truck? I can find photos of 18s on a 620, but they are all tucked in the wheel wells and I just cant visualize how 18s would look if they were wide.

z4PkxbU.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock 620 tire diameter is 23" and 14" rim. You're going to 27" so yes it will look weird. 10.5" or more wide won't fit either so the truck will have to be raised or big ugly flares used. Tires and rims should fit the truck not the truck made to fit the tires and rims. Going from 23" to 27" on a 4.375 axle is the same as swapping in a 3.72 ratio diff. Better swap in a V6.

Just because you have them doesn't mean they have to be used. This is the worst reason for using them.

You will need power steering or get a gym membership now!

• Like 1

Man, tough crowd in here...

Also the build that that picture is from is a pretty intense build. I have the dude followed on ig and that rear suspension is crazy looking

Yeah I've followed as much as I can about it. Pretty bad ass build for sure.

Meh...your truck, ruin it as you see fit.

thanks for your helpful input

Stock 620 tire diameter is 23" and 14" rim. You're going to 27" so yes it will look weird. 10.5" or more wide won't fit either so the truck will have to be raised or big ugly flares used. Tires and rims should fit the truck not the truck made to fit the tires and rims. Going from 23" to 27" on a 4.375 axle is the same as swapping in a 3.72 ratio diff. Better swap in a V6.

Just because you have them doesn't mean they have to be used. This is the worst reason for using them.

You will need power steering or get a gym membership now!

Even going with a 15" wheel and 60 series rubber like in the photo is larger than factory sizes. The overall height isnt really what I'm concerned with, its the wheel size. the 15's look proportionally good, just worried 18's will look huge compared to the truck, even with the overall height being smaller than the 15" setup. The 18's were $3800 and just sitting in the boxes never used because the car they were bought for got wrecked before I could mount them, and because of the offsets (-30fr/-45rr) they are very difficult to sell, so I'd like to use them if I can otherwise I will probably have to take a huge hit and sell them for way too little $$. I'm not even sure yet if these offsets will work yet, I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Truck is getting a built 515whp VQ swap. I will need a wide contact patch in the rear, and I'm swapping to S13 subframes, which also means shortening the axle and tubbing isnt an option nor is it practical for what I want out of the truck. And power steering is already figured out, no worries there.

Wide/low offset wheels on a king pin truck is bad, mmmkay?

Wont be king pin when I'm done with it. S13 front and rear subframes. 

• Like 2

13 or 18's can still be the same diameter wheel, just the rubber is thinner. I'm used to lots of rubber on the rims and find large diameter rims with a rubber coating, look ...... different, is all. You're just going to have to cut the fenders to make this work and that is also too bad. I hope this project gets finished and the truck isn't lost.

• Like 1

13 or 18's can still be the same diameter wheel, just the rubber is thinner. I'm used to lots of rubber on the rims and find large diameter rims with a rubber coating, look ...... different, is all. You're just going to have to cut the fenders to make this work and that is also too bad. I hope this project gets finished and the truck isn't lost.

The truck will absolutely get finished. May take me a long time, but it will get done. Sourcing S13 subframes right now, have a S14 diff with LSD lined up, if everything fits like I'm thinking it will I already have a carbon driveshaft the correct length, wiring, ECU, fuel... everything is pretty much here and ready, I just need to get it started but the damn snow wont stay away to get the truck moved around. Progress will be posted once I get to start it.

Now, back to the wheels, when I say wheel I'm referring to the "rim" itself, not including the tire. So yes, you can absolutely change the overall diameter by changing the sidewall of the tire. Thats why I say an 18" wheel with a 40 sidewall tire has a slightly smaller overall diameter than the wheels/tires that I posted above. I know the 15inch wheels look good above, I just cant picture that size overall diameter with a 18 inch wheel instead of a 15 inch wheel. I'm afraid the 18's will look huge, much like when someone tries putting 20's on a Honda Civic, they look way bigger than they actually are because the car is so small.

Hopefully this photo links correctly. The wheels/tires in this photo are 18x10.5 wheels, with 295/40 tires. I dont think its too much rubber for the wheel and think this is a perfect combo for a 18 inch wheel. Maybe I will just have to photoshop this onto a 620 and see how it would look?

And no, I wont do a universal flare like those on the truck lol

10265654_341685252659189_583633013927434

• Like 1

One aspect not often thought of is proportions. The scale of the proportions has to go up or down according to certain variables. A tire that wide on a rim with that offset will make the truck damn near as wide as it is long, making it act weird and drive funny.

Agreed 100% with flatcat. Huge negative offset wheels do many bad things to suspension geometry and durability.

• Like 1

My question is, will 18's look too large on the truck? I can find photos of 18s on a 620, but they are all tucked in the wheel wells and I just cant visualize how 18s would look if they were wide.

As said, you won't find pics because it's really not a good look, and rough on the suspension. 

I really like 18s on a 620, if they are tucked...

datsun.jpg

• Like 3

You'll just have to put flares on. Cutting the stock wheel arches will destroy the looks and structural strength. The picture you posted shows an unsightly radius cut to follow the tire. The front won't be any better looking. Tires should fit the truck not the truck fit the tires.

• Like 1

In the offroad world, it is not uncommon to build the truck around the tires, but that;s where the proportion comment I made earlier comes into play. If you want t use 42" tires, then the wheelbase and track width need to be "X".

Same for the wide ones in the first pic here. The truck is too short for that wide of a stance.

Fender cuts can be made to look good and retain strength, but I rarely see it done right. Guys usually just hack it out and call it done.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Depends. Do you care if it rubs? A lot?    ^_^

More rubbing than a slight fender rolling would take care of? If so then nevermind haha It'll be on a 620 with 3in blocks and 720 springs if that helps figure out the rubbing. I saw flatcat say +10 is even with the fender so maybe that's the way to go 

• Like 1

218, come down to  my shop on some Thursday night (Bonneville build night) and see what it took to make our wheel and tires fit (still only 15, but extreme lowering) to get an idea of the amount of fab involved.  Ours included rebuilding the clutch pedal, changing the inner wheel arch dramatically, and changing the clutch throw to be able to function in less space.  

The other issue no one mentioned with wider tires is that tire scrub is already bad, and amplified the wider you go.  This means you'll find yourself steering the car into corners, and steering it back out of corners.  It won't want to "return to center"  the way it used to.  It makes driving a little more of a chore, unless you add power steering.  That's all required so the tires don't rub.  Its doable for sure, but more work than you might expect.

• Like 2