350z

racerx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...meaning?

Exactly that. IC engines burn oil, no way around it. 05/06 350z/G35 with the VQ35DE RevUp edition motors had excessive oil consumption problems. Not sure if the precise cause was ever determined (heard a lot of different opinions like valve seals, ring gaps not offset, bad oil/wiper rings, etc). RevUp motors are easily identified by their timing cover with variable valve timing on intake and exhaust, unlike the regular DE
  • Like 1

Easier identified by two throttle bodies.

Earlier 350s had known bad valve stem seals.

I have a neighbor that smokes out the whole street when he starts his car in the morning.

One is not worse than the other.

You don't know what you're talking about. The RevUp editions have a single throttle body just like the regular DE. Google RevUp oil consumption.
  • Like 1

I had an 05 convertible LOVED IT  but it had low oil pressure and the dealer/warranty didn't want to address the issue head on  I tried to get them to replace the oil pump several times with no success they tried other things like front cover o rings and seals with no change, I ran 10/40 in the car rather then 5/30 just to boost the pressure enough to keep the light off at idle, at anything but idle the pressure would come up with no issues 

they said it was within all specs yet at idle the oil light came on and the gauge read near 0

next problem was with the nissan anti theft device that reads the chipped key ( no available fixes other then to remove that portion out of the BCM (body control module

doing that fixed the starting problem but made the red alarm light stay on at all times when driving the car 

ended up trading it in for an 2011 370z and dont regret it at all 

Hands down I think the 370 is superior over the 350

bought the 350 with 75k miles traded in at 125k miles 

bought the 2011 with 36k miles 

Good stuff...thanks, been reading on line that the 2006 350z had oil consumption issue. Some say the piston rings,come say its the oil because when they change to 10-30 no issue, some say its the pcv. Will keep on reading.

My opinion working for Z1 Motorsports for years, and daily driving / tracking a 350Z in the meantime: 

03-05 VQ35DE Version - Single Throttle Body:

Pro's

-Inexpensive (Compared to other years)

-Great aftermarket

-Inexpensive to boost

Con's

-Smaller brakes than later years (unless track model with Brembo's)

-Cheaper quality interior

-Serious oil burners (suffer from compression issues)

-Weaker on power compared to later models.

-Early 03-04.5 production models had poor synchro's in the 6mt's

-Lower NA power

-Weaker power band

-Harder to find in a lower mile chassis

2006 VQ35DE Rev-Up (6mt ONLY) - Single Throttle Body:

Pro's

-Updated interior (also applies to 07+)

-Updated Exterior (also applies to 07+)

-LED Tails (also applies to 07+)

-HID headlights standard (also applies to 07+)

-Larger brakes standard (also applies to 07+)

-Higher rev-limit over earlier 03-05 engines

-Stronger rotating assembly

-Updated CD009/CD00A 6mt - Very durable

-Great aftermarket aftermarket

-Cheap to boost

Con's

-Expensive and difficult engine to find (if you ever need to)

-Worse oil consumption / compression issues than earlier VQ engines.

-

2007-2008 VQ35HR - Dual Throttle Body:

Pro's

-See above for '06 updates

-Higher rev-limit over Rev-up and non-Rev-up (nearly 8000RPM stock with a tune)

-Easier to find with lower miles

-More powerful than VQ35DE's

-Share aftermarket and OE with 370Z's VQ37VHR

-Outstanding aftermarket

-ZERO oil consumption issues

-Incredibly strong rotating assembly (upwards of 700whp capable with turbo's)

-Hold their value better (because of NISMO models)

-Better NA power

-Better flowing heads than predecessor

Con's

-Oil gallery gasket failure is somewhat common, and requires the removal of timing covers to service.

-Slave cylinder is inside of the bellhousing and common failure. Aftermarket kits resolve this issue

-Higher overall value means higher cost to buy

-Slightly more expensive to mod, however more rewarding so not really a con......

The '07+ is far superior in EVERY way. I whore out the '07+ HR 350Z's because they're truly incredible cars.

370Z is also a great option, early models are getting cheaper and close to the cost of an '07+ 350Z, but they suffer from the same CON's (gallery gasket and slave cylinder). In addition, they Nissan's VVEL (variable valve event lift) which is heavy, and not serviceable which means there are zero cam options for the intake side of the heads. It also produces far more heat, so earlier models suffer from high-oil-temps. Oil cooler highly recommended.

Now I'm biased because I own one....but I'm also well educated for the same reason. I love my '07 350Z, most reliable car I have owned EVER and it makes great power for an NA bolt-on car. About 308whp with 278 lb-ft to be exact. I have 162,000 miles on this turd and it's absolutely incredible. I track it, I daily drive it, and it takes literally everything I throw at it. That said, if I was in your position I would NOT recommend a 350Z for a first car (if that's the case here). They are just enough car to seriously get yourself in trouble with if you're inexperienced or irresponsible. If those aren't issues, I would absolutely invest in one.

Picture of my '07 getting ready to eat a TT 300ZX on Road Atlanta just because.

30550925886_581554a68f.jpgZ_Nats_Highlight_10 by Matt Yates, on Flickr

I had an 05 convertible LOVED IT  but it had low oil pressure and the dealer/warranty didn't want to address the issue head on  I tried to get them to replace the oil pump several times with no success they tried other things like front cover o rings and seals with no change, I ran 10/40 in the car rather then 5/30 just to boost the pressure enough to keep the light off at idle, at anything but idle the pressure would come up with no issues 

they said it was within all specs yet at idle the oil light came on and the gauge read near 0

next problem was with the nissan anti theft device that reads the chipped key ( no available fixes other then to remove that portion out of the BCM (body control module

doing that fixed the starting problem but made the red alarm light stay on at all times when driving the car 

ended up trading it in for an 2011 370z and dont regret it at all 

Hands down I think the 370 is superior over the 350

bought the 350 with 75k miles traded in at 125k miles 

bought the 2011 with 36k miles

Your issue wasn't oil pump, it was oil gallery gaskets. It's an internal leak from the oil gallery covers, fairly common. Sounds like the dealer wasn't familiar with VQ's. Your 370Z suffers the same fate eventually, if it ever starts to lose oil pressure, address the gallery gaskets asap.

These cars do produce low oil PSI at idle (600RPM idle is about 15PSI) but should never read near zero.

All the 3.5 v6s were oil burners.

Except the '07+ VQ35HR's.