Your Thoughts on Frontier Pickups?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has a ‘98 Tacoma, recently hit a deer dead center of the front grill doing about 50, it cracked up the grill and dented the bumper. Truck is completely functional. Last year he got rear ended by a teen that was texting, she never hit the brakes and hit him doing over 30, it’s literally hard to tell where she hit him.

Question though...

Was she making payments on it? Total isn't all about the amount of damage.

Damage vs. amount owed play a huge factor.

Frontier...KA-DE. Good motor. Manual trans is strong.

Tacoma...still a good motor. Trans is decent.

I'd pick the Tacoma because I think it is a way better overall value. And I don't like the frontier.

Hardbody vs Tacoma? I'd probably swing for the hardbody.

Make all 3 a 4x4, I'd take the Tacoma.

^this.

Also forgot to mention, my brothers ‘98 is a v6 5speed 4x4, not that it has much to do with crash damage.

Another also, the tacoma has “strut” front suspension and handles like a car. I mean in and out of bay area traffic doing over 100 for until we were in Sacramento, and most cars couldn’t keep the pace with me. Frontiers handle quite poorly, no fucking around at freeway speeds advised.

Frontier is torsion bar suspension.

Tacoma will be double wishbone suspension with coil on shocks.

I used to work at Nissan as a tech and now work at Toyota.

I will tell you that i made more money because of frontiers than I do Tacoma.

Think about that.

^this.

Also forgot to mention, my brothers ‘98 is a v6 5speed 4x4, not that it has much to do with crash damage.

Another also, the tacoma has “strut” front suspension and handles like a car. I mean in and out of bay area traffic doing over 100 for until we were in Sacramento, and most cars couldn’t keep the pace with me. Frontiers handle quite poorly, no fucking around at freeway speeds advised.

They do not have struts.

Frontier is torsion bar suspension.

Tacoma will be double wishbone suspension with coil on shocks.

I used to work at Nissan as a tech and now work at Toyota.

I will tell you that i made more money because of frontiers than I do Tacoma.

Think about that.

That is ambiguous/misleading.  Frontier is not torsion bar in the sense that the VW bug/bus is.  Frontier is multi-link control arm, with a torsion bar spring.

They do not have struts.

Notice the quotes, in all their literature they were referred to as struts, just like newer crown vic. It was used mockingly.

The fact remains that a Tacoma has far superior suspension, that part is crystal clear.

OK what broke on the Tacoma? Other than the usual consumables, belts, blades, batteries, brakes and fluids this what we did a lot of at my shop in Phoenix, maybe this was only true in a 2 season town like Phoenix but we did a lot of;

1. Head gaskets
  2. Front crank seals and pulleys
  3. Resealed P/S pumps
  4. AC compressors
  5. 5 Spd trans bearings
  6. AT trans failure due to undersized converters towing boats and dirt bikes on weekends

Maybe some of you want to pay much more for a used pickup and have twice the budget to keep it on the road after all their credo is there is an ass for every seat, as for me I would'nt own a pickup that writes TRD on the side, ha, ha. Beware while you are driving the Tacoma the “Oh What a Feeling” smile on your face is not only because of their perfect gearing, it’s because it feels better because you’re a setting on a much thinner wallet. My advice is stay away from vehicles the write, ick, Ram or TRD on it. I like the Toyota it’s just coast less to drive a Nissan. If  gas mileage is what you want get a duel-fuel Chevy pickup that gets 23MPG and propane is $1.70 a gallon in our town,

The best buy rite now is the Xterra, everybody reports they last over 300k and you can get a nice one for $2,000, they also get 19mpg but why do you need a truck, drive a Stanza and get 38mpg, if you plan on walking I recommend Rockport shoes.

• Like 1