Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

1 hour ago, Draker said:

I could do that, but would I have to modify the shaft? I really don't want to do that. I'll pull the carrier though, for safe keepings.

Upgrade the center to H150 and you use the B210/B310 driveshaft.

I probably have a 1200 driveshaft I'm not using in my storage unit somewhere, I put a 510 wagon rearend in my 1200 (same as B210 flange AFAIK) so I won't be using it. I'm unloading the storage unit in about 2 weeks if you want me to keep an eye out for it.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh,, not sure if you remember,,  but when we talked at Canby about when we "fumigated" for rats with our Datsuns,,,,, the other night it came to me,,  it turned out it was rabbits digging all the holes.  The neighbors are old as dirt,  and are bird feeders,,  so we have been hunting rats around the garage area now though.  fucking rats 

Was kinda out of it at Canby 

. Anyways ?

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

Why not just use the whole B210 axle ?? 

The donor vehicle is a B310 technically which has a 4 link setup and coil springs. Also I think it's about 2" wider. I could be used, but would be a bit more work than the getting the driveline from the yard. I was pouring through the 1200 wiki to see what combo's work. Sounds like B210 would be more of a direct swap.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

Oh,, not sure if you remember,,  but when we talked at Canby about when we "fumigated" for rats with our Datsuns,,,,, the other night it came to me,,  it turned out it was rabbits digging all the holes.  The neighbors are old as dirt,  and are bird feeders,,  so we have been hunting rats around the garage area now though.  fucking rats 

Was kinda out of it at Canby 

. Anyways ?

LOL! If it's not one thing.. it's another.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, Dguy210 said:

How? 1974 axles have the same flange but 75-78 are different than 1200. 

Maybe most/all were early diffs? Bu we always used the 1200 shaft. 

We haven't done this swap on the last three for various reasons, not to mention them getting hard to find. I have one more spare diff I'm probably never going to use...  ?

On 7/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, Draker said:

The donor vehicle is a B310 technically which has a 4 link setup and coil springs. Also I think it's about 2" wider. I could be used, but would be a bit more work than the getting the driveline from the yard. I was pouring through the 1200 wiki to see what combo's work. Sounds like B210 would be more of a direct swap.

Oh i didn't notice it was 310 stuff even though i looked at the add trying to dump the rest of stuff .. Not learned on if drum to drum is wider but the leafs are the same distance so virtual bolt it.  Your tire/wheel setup looks like you have a little distance to give,, but may be optical illusion .  The egg mobile has already got a b210 axle implanted in its rear because he installed 1500 and 5speed first thing

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the rear window seals today with the 5/8 seal from mcmaster carr. It's okay but I'm thinking I should have went the even bigger size. I haven't tested it with water to see if it seals. I should keep the wind out at least. If it leaks, I'll probably replace again with the bigger size.

Should I put some more butyl on the pinch weld? I could see it trapping water and rusting eventually.

Also bought a the repop turn signal switch in ebay.. I think it was from tailand. I know the nose switches were available still on ebay but they were like $100 more. This was 25 bux or so. Anyway, it didn't work. It's for a bigger column, although it says b110/1200 and others.

So I tore them both apart and rebuilt the old one with parts off the new switch. They were similar, but not exact. I now have turn signal returns when I turn the wheel, and my stock horn buttons should work again... once I delete the aftermarket door bell looking push button that's mounted on the dash.

After I delete the push button switch, I'll remount the stock choke cable, and delete the aftermarket choke cable that's installed. 

Pics of door bell and choke that will be going bye bye

20180413_184620.jpg
20180331_194928.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1

Been thinking about the interior.. I need to replace the center carpet. It could be cleaned up but its over 40 years old. I was thinking of a patterned loop carpet. Checkers, or plaid pattern perhaps. Anyone got a decent online source for carpet?

• Like 1
On 7/29/2018 at 1:53 AM, Draker said:

I replaced the rear window seals today with the 5/8 seal from mcmaster carr. It's okay but I'm thinking I should have went the even bigger size.

Dang... Maybe I'll try bigger than that then...  ?

Thankfully I don't care about water, just wind...

5 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Dang... Maybe I'll try bigger than that then...  ?

Thankfully I don't care about water, just wind...

I should be good with wind noise. Water.... ?? Not sure. Lol I know it will be better than before. The gaskets were like strips of charcoal. Rock hard!!

Picked up a other 60a 5 speed. I'm pretty sure it's a boat anchor... but I'll pop it open and see what's doin. Maybe it can be rebuilt. Not a good sign when you pull the drive shaft and water poors out. 

Parts haul. I popped open the tranny and it looks like it will be a ok. I gotta pull the back half of the case and see what's going on back there. From what I can see, looks amazing for the amount of water that was in there. 

20180803_132818.jpg
20180803_132755.jpg
20180803_133057.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Not much to report. Been driving this as a daily since my Tacoma transmission shit its guts out.

I've been fixing a few things here and there. Found the window cranks were held in by a wood screw. The passenger side looks to have been drilled and tapped. I can tell because half the tap is broken off in the regulator. They then drilled the side of the crank and installed a set screw to old it on. It's working for now.. but eventually the regulator will be replaced to fix this.

The steering is sloppy, the brakes are crappy.. but it's still fun as hell to drive. 

The new quarter window seals seem to keep the air out. Not sure about water yet.. I'll know soon enough.

20180827_083448.jpg

• Like 2
On 9/1/2018 at 10:06 AM, Mattndew76 said:

Put it under the sprinkler

I have it a bath and it does leak a little bit. Not too bad though. I doubt this car will see much rain, so I'm not too worried about it. If it starts to leak a lot, I'll just go with the bigger seals.

I just ordered some dapper lighting LED Seven's for the car. The current headlights are dreadful. After having the 575's on the 510, I had to splurge a bit. It's for safety.. ?

Lead time... a few months.. ah well. 

30 minutes ago, hobospyder said:

I've been debating the sevens for my c10. I bought a set of the 5x6 (I think) for the 180 and other than dicking with horseshit wiring from the po have had no complaints. May end up with the whole fleet (4 wheel only) running dapper lights myself. 

Once you've got them on one vehicle... its just shit not having them on all the vehicles. I drove the 1200 home last night in the dark.. the lights are so terrible. Sure I could upgrade the alternator and get some H4's or something and that would improve it.. but Dappers lights are just so simple and the output is really nice.

I like the look of the housing. And the light output on little miss was wonderful, gonna pull them off her and put them on the longbed I'm driving now and save my set that's still in box for little miss when I start putting her back together. And those were just h11s, not even the hid. Did hid on the 180 and again, other than the po wiring fiasco it was wonderful. Need to get a relay kit or two for the 575s so they work proper myself just debating between hid and led. I think I'd rather led

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hobospyder said:

I like the look of the housing. And the light output on little miss was wonderful, gonna pull them off her and put them on the longbed I'm driving now and save my set that's still in box for little miss when I start putting her back together. And those were just h11s, not even the hid. Did hid on the 180 and again, other than the po wiring fiasco it was wonderful. Need to get a relay kit or two for the 575s so they work proper myself just debating between hid and led. I think I'd rather led

The h11 -> LED conversion is $120 per set or $240 for 4. I just ordered those for the 510. Will have HID low beams, and LED high beams. If I don't like that, I'll swap them to have LED lows and HID highs. 

• Like 1

The tops of the window fames are a bit floppy.. looks to be some flex from inside the doors. I haven't popped the door panel yet. Is there something that should brace this inside the door? 

Are they all like this?