Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent the last month negotiating with a fellow down in LA about a green 1972 B110 sedan he has owned for the last 36 years. He called it "The pickle". He drove this car all over the place event to the last day he sold it to me. It's got it's quirks like all Datsuns. It's had some body work done, but it has little rust. I have to thank 240zness for going and inspecting the car for me, and taking it for a drive. James Johnson for hauling it up to Oregon. Without these Datsun nuts, this wouldn't have been possible!

Blah blah blah pictures.

20180325_190735.jpg
20180325_190714.jpg
20180325_190702.jpg
20180325_190646.jpg
IMG953173.jpg
  • Like 11

Immediate plans for the car:

New tires

These are 12" wheels. So.. will be looking for 13"-14" wheels and tires. Need to research what fits good.. Might get some steelies for now, until I can save for something nice. It NEEDS tires though. So whatever I put on it, will need to be a size I can swap to a new wheel.

Weather seals

Quarter window rubber is gone, wing windows are crispy, trunk seal is old, other misc rubber is needed.

Interior

Seat are just old. May reskin them, or find replacements. Other interior is worn and old, will cleanup and replace where needed.

Brakes

These need a little work. Have to double pump to get pressure.

Rust repair

Drivers floor has some small holes that need patching. Trunk has a few pin holes. Rear trunk drop has some bondo.. scared to see what's under there. But I'll leave that for now.

For now, I bought this to drive. I'll do a few little things here and there, but for now it's taking a back seat to my 510 that still needs paint and body work.

Plans for down the road:

280zx struts (Have)

5 speed swap (Have)

Nice wheels 

That engine bay is very clean.   I wouldn't worry about the 5speed too much , the automatics are a hoot just wobbling around town in, i don't know if they all do it but mine felt like it had a shift kit when it hits second gear.. :lol:

BTW

I just traded mine away . 

weird

That engine bay is very clean.   I wouldn't worry about the 5speed too much , the automatics are a hoot just wobbling around town in, i don't know if they all do it but mine felt like it had a shift kit when it hits second gear.. :lol:

BTW

weird

I'm okay with the auto. Works great, shifts good. Good for the wife also. I just want to gain a few MPH's on the highway. Traded the 1200 or the tranny?

• Like 1

The  other up side of an automatic trans is the tunnel, more room for 5 speed, even if it's 63A. Be sure to keep the drive line from the automatic as it will fit the 63a. I have spare

drivelines for the 60A 5 speeds.(I have brake and clutch pedals too!)

I saw this car on CL, the engine is A14? The owner wrote a large check for the rocker cover! Looks like it was well loved!

I like the lack of overriders on the bumpers, should be good fun, but I think all 1200's are good fun- especially driving the s*^t out of them.

• Like 1

That engine bay is very clean.   I wouldn't worry about the 5speed too much , the automatics are a hoot just wobbling around town in

BTW

The  other up side of an automatic trans is the tunnel, more room for 5 speed, even if it's 63A. Be sure to keep the drive line from the automatic as it will fit the 63a. I have spare

drivelines for the 60A 5 speeds.(I have brake and clutch pedals too!)

I saw this car on CL, the engine is A14? The owner wrote a large check for the rocker cover! Looks like it was well loved!

I have the pedals and a 60a. Can I use the driveline from a b310? Is it the right length?

I won't be swapping until I get bored. The parts are available so I bought to hoard.

Standard or manual transmission drivelines all about the same length, the flange that bolts to the 3rd member is different between the H145 and H150 3rd members.

You can install 2mm spacer ring ( I have those too) on  the front of the H145 rear housing and then bolt in your H150 3rd member, at this point you MAY have to shorten driveline but

H150 3rd member will take the torque of the engine you have in there now.

Nice!  I have an A14 shortblock with USED Venolia pistons, a flywheel, couple other parts.  Parts dirt cheap, shipping expensive!  PM if interested!

TJ

Denver

Oh baby, 1200 Sedan.....First Datsun model I owned.

We replaced that steering column bushing on the green coupe(which looks like it may be the same color).  We had the column out and it was a bit of a bitch kitty. 

14" wheels on a 1200 can be a bit tricky, at least they were for me on a coupe. I think I had 195's and got some rub. Of course I know nothing about offset. I currently have 185's on the grey car and no rub. If you want I can look at the size I am using on that car.  The green coupe has 12" tires/wheels.

Good score sez I.

• Like 2

Oh baby, 1200 Sedan.....First Datsun model I owned.

We replaced that steering column bushing on the green coupe(which looks like it may be the same color).  We had the column out and it was a bit of a bitch kitty. 

14" wheels on a 1200 can be a bit tricky, at least they were for me on a coupe. I think I had 195's and got some rub. Of course I know nothing about offset. I currently have 185's on the grey car and no rub. If you want I can look at the size I am using on that car.  The green coupe has 12" tires/wheels.

Good score sez I.

Yeah, I'm interested in wheel setups. 13 or 14"s are fine with me.. they just need to fill out the wheel well and not rub

Nice!  I have an A14 shortblock with USED Venolia pistons, a flywheel, couple other parts.  Parts dirt cheap, shipping expensive!  PM if interested!

TJ

Denver

I appreciate the offer. It currently has an A14.

Also, I am pretty sure I have a set of OEM wing window seals but I will have to do some searching........14 tubs of Datsun parts inventoried and still not done.

Also, I am pretty sure I have a set of OEM wing window seals but I will have to do some searching........14 tubs of Datsun parts inventoried and still not done.

You have my attention. Are they for a sedan? Or does it matter?

They are for a Sedan.....think I ordered them first instead of ones for the coupe. Coupe is different, Sedan and Sunny truck are the same. I will do some looking, seems to me I saw them recently.

• Like 1