New to me 1974 questions

e11t

Thanks in advance.

Needs a new carb, it getting a Weber worth it? It's only $50 more than a rebuilt Hitachi. The rest of the truck is stock.

Also previous owner said it was missing the fuel filters, he said there should be one under the hood and one before the tank. Does that sound right?

Lastly am I stupid for thinking I want to swap in a manual choke, it has an electric now. The manual is more expensive. I guess I like the idea of less electronics to fail. Maybe nostalgia is getting to me.

Anyways thanks again, I'll look around the site to see if these have already been answered.

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a single fuel filter on the passenger side inner fender and this may be why you are having a carb problem. It should never have been run without a fuel filter and dirt may have gotten into it. Rathe,r spend $30 on a good quality rebuild kit and spend two hours rebuilding what you have. Rebuilt carbs are junk.

If you have a '75 or newer 620 it will need to pass emissions testing and a weber will fail just on the visual alone.

• Like 2

There should be a single fuel filter on the passenger side inner fender and this may be why you are having a carb problem. It should never have been run without a fuel filter and dirt may have gotten into it. Rathe,r spend $30 on a good quality rebuild kit and spend two hours rebuilding what you have. Rebuilt carbs are junk.

If you have a '75 or newer 620 it will need to pass emissions testing and a weber will fail just on the visual alone.

It's a '74 so smog isn't a concern, didn't necessarily want to get a rebuild esp cause the Weber is so close in price. I had ordered a brand new off brand carb and it looked so cheap and poorly made I sent it back.

I guess I'm wondering if the Weber is worth it as an upgrade or am i really just throwing money away.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

I’d go with weber for simplicity. Rebuilding a hitachi can be a pain if you haven’t done it before.

Mike, smog year is ‘76 and up.

Thanks I think I might, from reading around the site I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Some said MPG improvement, some said Hitachi was better.

Some said more torque, some didn't. Some said little difference.

Some said newer part means it will be available for replacement parts in the future which makes sense. 

Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

Thanks I think I might, from reading around the site I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Some said MPG improvement, some said Hitachi was better.

Some said more torque, some didn't. Some said little difference.

Some said newer part means it will be available for replacement parts in the future which makes sense. 

Thanks for your time.

There is no real substitute for the original Hitachi carb though it is complex. It's features good economy, reliable starting and operation, low emissions and everything that I like to call it's... drive ability. It was carefully designed for your engine and is easy to live with. The choke is electric and extremely reliable, so you never have to guess how much you need or when to shut it off.

In some cases the original is not an option, sometimes by choice. The Weber is simpler made so less to go wrong but it does not do all of the above things as well as the Hitachi except maybe performance. The Weber was not designed for the L18 but made to fit an infinite number of engines. Because of this it may need some sorting of the fuel mixture jets to get the mileage back up. In addition you will need to learn how to drive it as the secondary opens on demand where the Hitachi is designed to automatically 'come in' according to engine load.

• Like 2

At least you will get the real weber and you can actually talk to some one who knows how to install and tune at Pierce manifold. Stay away from Empi crap, looks like weber but not real.

eBay has an electric choke Weber by Redline claiming genuine Weber but after the little research I've done I don't know what to trust. It's about the same price as Pierce offers, but the seller hasn't responded with anything helpful.

Enough people have mentioned Pierce either they sponsor ratsun or they are worth their salt. If I don't attempt to rebuild the carb I'll go with the Pierce Weber.

Thank you.

• Like 1

There is no real substitute for the original Hitachi carb though it is complex. It's features good economy, reliable starting and operation, low emissions and everything that I like to call it's... drive ability. It was carefully designed for your engine and is easy to live with. The choke is electric and extremely reliable, so you never have to guess how much you need or when to shut it off.

In some cases the original is not an option, sometimes by choice. The Weber is simpler made so less to go wrong but it does not do all of the above things as well as the Hitachi except maybe performance. The Weber was not designed for the L18 but made to fit an infinite number of engines. Because of this it may need some sorting of the fuel mixture jets to get the mileage back up. In addition you will need to learn how to drive it as the secondary opens on demand where the Hitachi is designed to automatically 'come in' according to engine load.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Out of everything I've read this makes the most sense, at least in my heart. That not being the best compass when I want to do this correctly, it still feels right to keep it factory.

I had a '90 tt and quickly got to the point I either rebuilt or only bought oem/nismo / Jim wolf. The original or factory designed parts always always preformed better.

Could you recommend a good rebuild kit. Much appreciated. I haven't had a project in years I'm as rusty as my new truck.

• Like 1

Putting a Weber was the best, easiest upgrade I have done to my 521.

Good to know thanks for the response.

When you say upgrade do you mean performance or just an easy swap? It's four bolts and plug and play? I don't mind dialing in something aftermarket just want to know if it's worth it over rebuilding the original.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

Needs a new carb, it getting a Weber worth it? It's only $50 more than a rebuilt Hitachi. The rest of the truck is stock.

Also previous owner said it was missing the fuel filters, he said there should be one under the hood and one before the tank. Does that sound right?

Lastly am I stupid for thinking I want to swap in a manual choke, it has an electric now. The manual is more expensive. I guess I like the idea of less electronics to fail. Maybe nostalgia is getting to me.

Anyways thanks again, I'll look around the site to see if these have already been answered.

Any oics of this 74 Datsun!!

• Like 2