The turbo.........does not fit............

bubba_doc

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no steering column clearance issues other than accessing it, but I did have clearance issues everywhere else in my 521.

Here is my 720 turbodiesel engine, the booster has a very short pedestal.

DSCN3276.jpg

But the turbocharger is high and sticks out the hood, I plan to lower it someday so I can put my nice hood back on it.

DSCN3269.jpg

DSCN3259.jpg

• Like 2

Where do you get the right manifold? I am planning to run a turbo Z24 at some point.

There is no "right" manifold for a 720, the ones several are using and also the one turbodatsun.com sells is a generic cast iron Chinese ka24e manifold. Fits the z24 no problem but turbo will most likely foul the large oem brake booster.

Then there is the z18et manifold which is a down mount manifold, it also fits the z24 but it puts the turbo towards the rear cylinder which makes the elbow/downpipe foul the handbrake cable and speedometer cable... So as you can see there is no easy way out, sure you could fab a manifold but that's more work than swapping the booster(depending on your skill set of course)

• Like 1

KA exhaust manifolds don't realy fit the Z24 ports, they will bolt up but need to be modified. The KA head may be in a different position and there's more clearance. So this is not a Z series manifold at all but something else really. The Z18ET manifold is a better option having only the hand brake and maybe the speedo cable to deal with.

Modify the engine brackets and move it to the right an inch

• Like 1

DSCN6959.jpg

You can see here that the clutch master won't work with the booster moved back. I'm pretty sure the steering is also in the way too.

The turbo is the problem, the solution is the turbo. Fab a new manifold that moves it closer to the engine.

You're not hearing what I am saying. Move the clutch pedal/master assembly over to the side to fit the booster next to it. I've done it and it's not a lot of work at all.

• Like 1

pwtas.jpg

I bought the diesel engine with the turbocharger already mounted high, but it didn't run properly, I finally figured everything out a couple years later, the engine was in a Volvo wagon and the turbo stuck out the hood on that one also, I always wondered why the guy did that, I suppose in the end it might have been my fault, the guy came to my house to buy an exhaust manifold(diesel) to turbocharge the engine, I asked him what he was going to do and listened, then I told him I would not do it that way I would do it this way, he did it my way but mounted it too high in my opinion, I actually bought back my exhaust manifold from him, then I did it the way he wanted to do it in my 521, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut, oh well I figured it all out and have 2 good turbocharged diesel engines now, I am the only one with a happy ending in my threads, all the other threads about turbocharging these SD diesel engines with inline injection pumps do not have happy endings, here and the Nissan diesel forums.

• Like 2