“Bluey”-a father daughter project 510

I’m starting an actual build thread for my four door 510. I traded my 71 two door 510 to the Keeper for a four door to enjoy with my daughters and wife. It’s too damn hard to wrestle one carseat into the back of a 510, two just wasn’t going to happen regularly with my fat ass. My oldest loves the new car, blue is her favorite color and she lovingly named it “Bluey”. All future dicknanigans will be posted here.

For those looking for a bit of history on the car, it’s the four door from the beginning of Busta’s father daughter thread, and the Keepers another one datsunville thread.

• Like 7
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I worked on getting the blower fan, cigarette lighter, and passenger window working correctly. The blower wouldn’t run when the switch was actvated, nor when the wires were jumped. I took off the cover plate and was greeted by what was once a mouse hotel. It took over two Jimboys takeout cups to empty the area around the blower.

vsizgKW.jpg

Now the blower ran well when jumped but not on the switch. Out came the switch, cleaned a half century of grime and oxidation off the contacts, used a bit of dielectrical grease and closed it up. Now it works like new.

GV26Xl6.jpg

It took a while with 150 to get the nasty shit off the contacts.

Then I traced the wires for the cigarette lighter, got it all cleaned up and working, gotta run that phone charger. Sorry no pics of that.

Next was the window, it was tilting forward and wouldn’t roll up without a lot of help. I loosened the two nuts that control the angle, ran the window up and held with one hand whilst tightening the nuts with the other...now it rolls up with just the crank. I put in a new fuel filter, old one had a ton of sediment in it.

I also ordered a set of license plate frames...I am a bit of a nerd.

CyMVGcX.png

It’ll be a damn sight better than zip ties holding the plates like it is currently.

Next on the list is valve adjustment and setting timing better. After that, I’ll get the heater core hooked up and the valve cable fixed. At some point my old man is going to go through the interior with me, he does awesome work with seats, headliners, decorative sewing patterns, etc.

I plan to keep with the factory white interior, it looks awesome with the blue, it’ll get fucked up at some point but my girls are more important than a car.

• Like 2

Looks like a good start w the 4 door. Good luck and have fun with project. Good boring experience w daugther.

We had a great time with the two door, she was seriously pissed I traded it until she saw the four door. She sits in the drivers seat whenever I’m working on it, hands me wrenches, even turned a wrench or two on it. Pretty good helper. Hard to think in twelve short years she’ll be hounding me for the keys.

• Like 3

Time passes by so quickly, my son is now 23 years old. I bought my first Datsun 510 when he 6 years old. At the end of the day, its about quality relationships and a good project like bluey will help bond the family. That's so cool, getting all involved.

• Like 3

My brother came over last night and brought a timing light. The timing was off a ways. I also adjusted the valves, two intake valves didn’t have enough room to get them to the right number, not sure what to do about that. The cam has some damage on some lobes, Spark plug 4 was cross threaded, and one manifold hole has semi mangled threads. It’s running, but the head is basically junk and needs replacement being it’s not worth fixing a w58 in my book. If I can get it to run good enough, I’ll roll it until I get all the shit to swap the vg30i out of my retired hardbody into the 510.

Hmmm, valves can't be adjusted and no more room. Did u try the other way, just making sure u adjusted right. But if u did right then its probably sinking or worn. Maybe time for rebuilt or another one or wait for the vg one.

• Like 2

My brother came over last night and brought a timing light. The timing was off a ways. I also adjusted the valves, two intake valves didn’t have enough room to get them to the right number, not sure what to do about that. The cam has some damage on some lobes, Spark plug 4 was cross threaded, and one manifold hole has semi mangled threads. It’s running, but the head is basically junk and needs replacement being it’s not worth fixing a w58 in my book. If I can get it to run good enough, I’ll roll it until I get all the shit to swap the vg30i out of my retired hardbody into the 510.

There are good head plug replacement options.  Drill out, re-tap and install new [with appropriate sealants] inserts.  Then go on with a new spark plug set !  Beats the cost of as new head.  If it doesn't work, then go ahead with the misery of making a "new" head with dubious ancestry and get it to eventually work after a fasion.

• Like 1

jgkrI2H.jpg

After swapping remote ignitor dizzy, gm hei, factory ‘78 200sx coil and getting the timing right...it runs surprisingly well even with two intake valves that won’t adjust enough. It went from not being able to pull 5th gear up highway 50 toward Lake Tahoe at 4k feet, I mean falling flat on it’s face and having to immediately go back to 4th...to passing Friday get to Tahoe and party traffic with relative ease. Not as fast or ballsy as Moo was, but way the fux better. I’d still like to replace it, but unless I get the hookup on a good head I’ll rock this till vg30 happens.

vRp5c9d.jpg

I know I shouldn’t bitch, but you know your shop is small when a 510 is a tight fit. Barely noticeable is the new license plate frame, they fit very well for $9.50 shipped.

• Like 1

Kids...

He was too small to remember riding in the wagon. He might have his license by the time its drivable again.

I know I shouldn’t bitch, but you know your shop is small when a 510 is a tight fit.

At least you have room on the side for shit!
  • Like 2

Yesterday I pulled the heater core and valve to see if I could get the heat working. Spent all afternoon and most of the evening cleaning and picking shit out of the core fins. There was a mud dawber nest blocking the valve but I got that out and everything was seemingly fine. After reinstalling everything and running the car up to temp, I had good news and bad news. The heater kicked out plenty of heat...but the damn valve leaks. Today will be spent trying to fix the valve. Fuck.

• Like 1

It was shitty having to pull the valve again, but it’s done and I have leakless heat. Two 007 and one 115 orings did the trick. I got two of each size just in case I lost or damaged one. When I disassembled the valve, it was immediately clear the smaller seal was thicker than the oring I got. Not wanting the possibility of having to pull it apart a second time, I put both 007 orings in. It was hard getting everything back together with the extra oring, but it eventually went back together. I warmed the car up as much as it would idling in a snowstorm, decent heat and no more leak.

• Like 3

SSWgEHR.jpg

I had an extra hour and change while my youngest was napping, so I decided to put a ultimate black sponge to use on the dashboard area. This stuff is amazing, turns dull, whitening plastic back to shiny black with no color agent.

Te7kqmM.jpg

sqxNaLv.jpg

Looks ten times better than it did.

I also got the og wink mirror installed. Most people hate the racecar style review mirror, but it gives a massive field of view and it came from my old two door. Forgot oics of it though.

• Like 1

Got a couple things done today. First, I cleaned and wrapped up some wiring around the engine bay and under the dash. Next was putting new bullet connectors on the reverse light wires, now I need new bulbs, they worked with bulbs from the tail lights. Then I wired in my stock four wire tach, while messing with the lighting wires for it I somehow got the oil pressure light working again. This car has oddly unmolested wiring and dash components considering the shape it was when the keeper got it the first time around.

• Like 1

Tonight’s mini project was adding a starter relay and cleaning/tightening the battery cables. I have no time to work on the car during weekdays until after the girls are in bed, so it’s all about getting something done whether small or large. Anyway, the car had a brand new ignition switch when I got it from James and I wanted to keep it that way. This was fairly high priority because I know how fast these switches can get fried. I’m sure everyone knows how to do the wiring, so I won’t get into it here. Here’s one oic for whe whores.

pbqsFO7.jpg

• Like 1

Mini project update. Last night I installed a new horn and refurbished the horn relay. I also switched out a dying temp sender for my digital gauge, the reading is much more solid now. I took it for a spin today, temp held solid around 185, I can live with that for now. I got replacement bulbs for my reverse lights, it’s nice to know people can see me backing up now.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn’t really know where to put this. It’s not an fml, and I’m not butthurt...actually, quite the opposite. Today my daughter had gymnastics class, we took two cars so wifey could go shopping afterwards and I could come home and clean house(gato shout-out). I parked right next to the crown vic and we went inside. I checked on bluey a few times, the last time was 10min before class was over, it was right next to the vic like it should’ve been. When we came out I started to flip the fuck out, a Chevy pickup was parked where Bluey should’ve been. Then my wife said what the fuck, bluey was 50’ across the parking lot half assed on the lawn between two cars, a tree, and a concrete sign...without hitting or damaging anything.

jJNVvsV.png

The subaru is owned by my youngest daughters gymnastics coach.

rLeCn9y.png

That’s less than a foot away from a destroyed rear quarter.

FDvYe6i.png

Equally close to the tree.

Two additional things: if I hadn’t raised the car for my local roads, it would’ve sustained heavy rear end damage. If the front tires jumped the curb and somehow managed to miss the sign, it would’ve either hit a fire hydrant or ended up in the road.

Now I’ll be making damn sure it’s all the way in gear next time I drive it somewhere.

It knocked it out of alignment a bit and slightly tweaked the exhaust.

• Like 3