720 rear wiring harness section question

Dnatoli

Hey all! I have a 1984 2wd king cab 720 pick up I’m currently doing an engine swap on. I bought the truck in pretty horrible shape and have been piecing it back together since. I’m in the middle of sorting out the wiring but am at a stop at the rear section. The harness runs to the back and at the last part of the frame there is a five pin connector and then nothing. Looks like somebody took the rear harness out entirely! I’m lookjng to buy either that rear section or get a sechematic so I can build it so the tail lights and stuff will work. The rear plug looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130729608@N02/on6k6F

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130729608@N02/477kj6

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If buying or selling do it here... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/7-electrical/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

That's the 6 pin connector from the frame harness to the rear tail light harness. The wires are..

Black........................... Ground

Red/Yellow stripe........ License, rear red side markers and rear running lights. (on with parking or headlamps)

Yellow/Blue stripe....... Reverse lamps

Yellow/Red stripe....... Stop lights

Green/Black stripe.... Right hand turn and 4 way emergency flasher

Green/Red stripe...... Left hand turn and 4 way emergency flasher

The rear came with or without step bumpers, so the tail lamp harnesses were different but the wire colors were the same on the frame harness.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response! I will see if I can build a harness now. But I also found part # 24015-10W01 which is available for sale, but it looks like there is a part # change midway through my particular model year so I’m a little nervous to buy the sub harness section and have it be wrong. Any way that number can be verified as correct?

Thanks again

• Like 1

Oct '82 ('83 model year) through the '84 model year. 24015-10W01 and 10W06

The last two digits, (01 or 06) are the similarity number. This indicates a slight change in the part that has little effect like plastic color. I would go with the first number you posted but the other should work also. 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

This isn't much more difficult than installing trailer lights on a trailer. In fact a trailer wiring harness should get you most of what you need except back up lights and probably a second wire for the license plate light or splice it to a taillight. Trailer lights have a window in taillight for the license light. Forget trying to source original for these old trucks. A universal 5 or 6 pin plug should be fine.

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, Charlie69 said:

I might have one, but I will not be able to get it out of storage until next weekend.

Awesome! Let me know and I'll paypal your or something. Thanks for your response.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 8:38 AM, datzenmike said:

If buying or selling do it here... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/7-electrical/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

That's the 6 pin connector from the frame harness to the rear tail light harness. The wires are..

Black........................... Ground

Red/Yellow stripe........ License, rear red side markers and rear running lights. (on with parking or headlamps)

Yellow/Blue stripe....... Reverse lamps

Yellow/Red stripe....... Stop lights

Green/Black stripe.... Right hand turn and 4 way emergency flasher

Green/Red stripe...... Left hand turn and 4 way emergency flasher

The rear came with or without step bumpers, so the tail lamp harnesses were different but the wire colors were the same on the frame harness.

I was wondering what the 3rd lower small bulb in these 84 tail lights are used for??

There is a small bulb that looks like a reverse light from an 85-86, but the reverse lights on the 84 are under the tailgate. I've tried every lighting switch combination and those littles lights never come on in the tail lights???

What am I missing here??

• Like 1

Looks like the same connector that is on the 85/86.  More than one way to approach this.  If you don't want to cut into the harness that you have, you might be best served by obtaining the 85/86 rear harness and rework it as needed.  Then it will just plug into your main harness with no cutting of it.