short road trip

nissan720

took the nissan 720 out on a 2 hour road trip to see my daughter in college.27 mpg with 4:11 gears and 32/36 weber. The engine is a ka24e .Using stock manifold with a 2.25 inch single inlet ,dual outlet magnaflow muffler.Exhaust system is 2.25 from the manifold high flow catalyst converter flowing into the muffler.Quiet just like i like it.Next to put torsion bars back into stock location and get dropped spindles.

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I was wondering, does the KA with Weber make more power than the Z24 due to head design or is it about the same? A KA with Weber would be significantly easier than all the ECU and what not wouldn't it?

I would be interested in more details and pictures of your current setup.

• Like 1

x2.

I think the Doug thorley header will mate to either a KA or a Z24 (correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not 100% at all) I think we could potentially ream out a Z24 intake a little to make it fit the different port shapes better if we are super carefull about coolant passages? I'm mostly guessing on this so correct me, but I know you guys will anyways. ;-)

Note I was assuming single cam KA with the oil shaft drive dizzy that can be mated with an L series Dizzy if I'm not wrong?

• Like 1

I was wondering, does the KA with Weber make more power than the Z24 due to head design or is it about the same? A KA with Weber would be significantly easier than all the ECU and what not wouldn't it?

I would be interested in more details and pictures of your current setup.

The drawback of the Z series is poor breathing as it revs up. It has good strong bottom end torque but lacks top end. The KA head has three (or 4 if a DE) valves with two intakes. The cam is about the same. The KA makes about 25-30 more HP?

• Like 1

So it looks like I will have to fabricate an intake mani to put a weber 32/36 on a KA24e? Could you put a Weber on the intake mani of the single cam KA? I can't find a picture and it seems like you will need to change the manifold significantly. Could I just fabricate a manifold for dual downdraft Weber 32/36s cause I have two of them for this project.

• Like 1

It will take more effort to do all that than just get out of your comfort zone and figure out the fuel injection. With the carb you are putting toilet bowl technology on modern engine. It looks difficult but in hindsight it makes sense the improvement starting in whatever temp and just plain smooth running makes it worth it

• Like 1

Still have to fabricate an adapter. 

I run one on my Z24 in my 86 king cab.  I am old and understand Webers and as long as I can drive it like I stole it and get 27 to 30 miles a gallon I am happy with a toilet on my engine.

• Like 1

Use a truck KA and all you need is a plate with the weber bolt holes in it or studs. The D21 intake has a downdraft throttle body and when removed the intake looks like a four bbl fits it.

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Like 1

Use a truck KA and all you need is a plate with the weber bolt holes in it or studs. The D21 intake has a downdraft throttle body and when removed the intake looks like a four bbl fits it.

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I think that this would be easier than fuel injection and cheaper, would a Weber 32/36 be big enough? Or do I have to get some kind of tiny Holley? My Webers run flawlessly and start quicker than my throttle body Chevy or my neighbors modern fuel injected cars, they also start up and run when its 10 degrees out F so I think they are good enough for me.

• Like 1

The 32/36 runs decent on the Z24 engines but might be to small for the KA because the KA breathes better.  Contact Farme ron here he has a carbureted KA in one of his 620s, Think he is running a yetted down holley 500 cfm 2 barrel on it.

i made an adapter plate.It was easy.I worked as a machinist for 13 years at an aerospace company.My weber runs flawless and it is consistent.I can go our in 20 degree ,depress accelerator once walk back in the house.and yes i can tell a difference in performance.

• Like 2

i made an adapter plate.It was easy.I worked as a machinist for 13 years at an aerospace company.My weber runs flawless and it is consistent.I can go our in 20 degree ,depress accelerator once walk back in the house.and yes i can tell a difference in performance.

Thanks!

So the Weber 32/36 feeds it well? I have a couple of them because I just get 720 stuff like that cheap around here and I am not looking to spend lots of $s and single cam KA truck motors are common and cheap in these parts. Do you by chance have a photo of your setup? I totally agree with you, I have had people ride in my car and say "are you sure that it's carbed?" Because they just run so well and then I open her up just for the sound :-)

• Like 1

Nissan actually produced the KAS a carbureted ka,offered south of the border. This would be the ideal manifold with equal length and short runners. I have no idea how to obtain one but unless you went the side draft route this would be the right way to do it.

what year ?

• Like 1

When I was researching this route it seems it was available early to mid 90s. There was info on the ka wiki page. It just said central america not specific countries. There are a few pics floating around the Web but could never figure out to aquire one. It was a proper carb manifold, short even length runners.

• Like 1

Nissan actually produced the KAS a carbureted ka,offered south of the border. This would be the ideal manifold with equal length and short runners. I have no idea how to obtain one but unless you went the side draft route this would be the right way to do it.

any part numbers ? i can see what i can find when

i go down there

• Like 1