Double coil/emissions

StewyN

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that you are in fact getting 12 volts to the + side of the coil first. Don't trust a fuse visually, just replace them.

If you have power to the coil make a small jumper wire and secure it to a good ground. Briefly touch the other end to the bad coil - terminal, when removed, you should get a spark from the coil tower wire. If you do, the coil is good.

Check the - side coil terminal wire is secure. Unscrew the rotor under the  distributor cap and make sure the bad coil - wire is connected to the module and has continuity to it.

That's about it. Last thing is the module has failed.

• Like 2

so its looking like the intake coil is the one that's giving me trouble. While the truck is running i pull the fuse and the truck dies. with the truck running i put a test light to each coil and of course to exhaust side lights up but get nothing on the intake coil. gonna go out and try you jumper idea next mike, so just so im clear i just ground out a wire and touch it to ground on the coil?

• Like 1

Well if there is no power to the + side of the coil there's no need to ground the - side to check for spark. You need to get the power to the + side working.

Power to the intake + side coil AND the power for the ignition Module comes directly from the ignition switch by-passing the fuse box, but also powering some items on the fuse box including the exhaust coil. As the other coil is working then it must be assumed it is working at least that far.\\

Is the wire loose? on a + side of the coil? Isn't there a small plastic three wire terminal box that connects all the ignition wires to the distributor on the Z24s???

• Like 1

Well it looks like it was a loose/ corroded wire on the module. popped the cap to test for continuity, and its nice and rusty in there disconnected all the wires and reseated them and hey i got spark on both now. thanks for giving me a sense of direction mike

• Like 1