Hand crank for a 320?

YMI2Big4A320

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an original from my 320, but not for sale.  You should be able to use one from a Datsun Roadster or MG as well (may have to double check whether the bend is in the right place, but I know the end will match up to the 320 crank bolt.)

• Like 1

Just searching ebay, there are a number of hand crank starter handles that may work from old tractors and Ford cars.  It's not exactly a precisely machined piece, and the end can be tweaked if necessary.  You just need the little perpendicular pin near the end to grab the cogs.

Without measuring anything, I bet this one may work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-HAND-CRANK-STARTER-HANDLE-29/382346939025?hash=item5905a74a91:g:9LoAAOSwcj1aMbgw&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

Just searching ebay, there are a number of hand crank starter handles that may work from old tractors and Ford cars.  It's not exactly a precisely machined piece, and the end can be tweaked if necessary.  You just need the little perpendicular pin near the end to grab the cogs.

Without measuring anything, I bet this one may work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-HAND-CRANK-STARTER-HANDLE-29/382346939025?hash=item5905a74a91:g:9LoAAOSwcj1aMbgw&vxp=mtr

Thanks very much! I will look into eBay more closely. If any of you can relay dimensions of the oem, that would make the search more accurate. I like your comment about the crank not being precisely machined. It brought me back to earth on this search.

• Like 1

Not 'Rocket Science'; piece of round bar stock with a cross pin in one end and two bends on other end.

I got a crank with our 320 but I'm sure it is not an original.

I'td be nice if someone with an original would post a pic or two and some dimensions.

Ratsuners always come through !!  Thanks !!

• Like 1

I guess I have no idea if mine is original or not, but it came with it and works.  The Model T in the ebay ad I posted actually looks like its built a lot better than mine.  

I can get some pics at some point this weekend, but I'm at work right now and the Datsun doesn't come out in winter.

My truck came with a J13 engine that lacked the receiver on the crankbolt, and I put on a crankbolt from a Datsun Roadster.  I tried a crankbolt from an MG, and it could receive the 320 handle just fine, but threads weren't right on the crankshaft side.

• Like 1

A lot of the MG/Austin engine stuff will work on the E and J series Datsun engines. Where you have to really be careful is threads and gears. I believe that Datsun built Austin based cars under license in the 1950's and just cloned the engine at least in late 50's. Kinda odd that they used SAE threads up through the 520 era.

I have an early MGB alloy stud-type rocker cover on our pickup and the clutch arm rubber boot from a 1961 MGA will fit right in the 320 clutch housing; either column or floor shift.

• Like 1

I used to have a 320, with a hand crank.  This was when you could still cruise up Broadway, and down 6th street in down town Portland Or.  A few times, me, and a buddy of mine would take the 320, complete with 60 HP yellow emblems on its side, down town to "drag the gut".

Occasionally, whoever was driving would "accidentally" stall the engine at a stop light.  

The passenger would hop out of the truck, complete with hand crank, yell "Switch Off", the driver would respond "Switch Off", the person with the crank would find a cylinder on compression stroke, and the hand crank in a good position, would then yell "Switch On", the driver responds "Switch On" and then the passenger gives the hand crank a good hard turn, and restart the engine.

The passenger would then hop back into the truck, and we would drive a through a few more stop lights, and do it all again.

• Like 2

OLs8GZv.jpgVdq1OdN.jpg

B2mTRw9.jpg

I forgot about this.  Here's the crank that came in my trunk, it was fit snugly in the mounts behind the seat as well.  Yeah there's an odd bend in it so it won't lay flat, cuz top quality, I guess.    The perpendicular pin is about 1 1/8" . 

• Like 1