R200 LSD Sanity Check

NC280z

I know a lot of people never look at feedback scores on eBay, or they don't really realize what trouble they are getting into by buying from someone with less than 100% positive.

Personally, I avoid buying from anyone with less than 99.5%, and if it's something I really need, and hard to find, I may take a chance with poorer feedback, but then inspect it very closely the minute it hits the door.

Cali-Datsun only has a 98.8% feedback....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I purchased this late last year eBay may not be able to assist with some sort of refund/return. I should've done a better job of checking the diff to verify that it was an LSD! The best I can do now is leave some professionally-worded negative comments on Yelp/Google for his business and hope to steer others away from Cali-Datsun.  

Can't see it good enough to say.

Looks smooth, but is the contact surface worn deeper than the surface that isn't contacted by the pinion ?

Seen a lot of old gear sets that are just fine.

Usually the only problems I run into is rust pitting, due to the car sitting un-driven for decades, and humidity gathering on the gears.

Minor pitting can be corrected by a good thick layer of moly coating.

But anything deeper is tossed into the scrap pile.

If he sold you a LSD differential, it doesn't matter how long "out of warranty" you are. He simply didn't fulfill his end of the bargain.

And these shops who don't understand why you didn't notice the problem earlier...? Have they never been involved in a long term project? Sometimes a package will remain un-opened for months here in my shop, but then, I trust my vendors.

I'd threaten lawsuit against that mother$%*^&*er. See what he says to that.

• Like 2