Alternative dizzy cams

mainer311

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get hotter spark by using a 3ohm coil and no ballast. The coil sees full battery voltage instead of the 8V (~4V drop) from the ballast.

Uhhh... no.

1.5 ohm coil + 1.5 ohm ballast = 3.0 ohms.

OR

3.0 ohm coil

Current flow is E/R or 12 volts/3 ohms = 4amps. No matter how you slice it 3 ohms is 3 ohms and 4 amps is 4 amps of current. As a magnetic field is dependent on current flow through the windings a 3 ohm coil will make as much spark as a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm ballast.

The coil with ballast actually has a hotter starting spark as the ballast is by-passed by the ignition switch in the start position. Then we get 12/1.5 = 8 amps of current or 2 times the current and a hotter spark. Naturally the points can never survive that amount of current and would quickly burn out.

The EI system uses a 0.8 ohm to 1.0 ohm coil. 12/0.8 = 15 amps 12/1.0 = 12 amps. As you can see the EI is going to make a shit ton of extra spark.

Hmmm, so, if that’s true, gapping the spark plugs wider could cause problems. Technically my resistance did go down slightly, so maybe a little more current. I only gapped the plugs to .040”. I may bump them back to .035”. Looks like I potentially have a matchbox dizzy coming. I’m assuming I’ll have to go get yet another coil to run with that.

Yeah, I get it now. I always thought that Pertronix somehow got you a stronger spark, and I guess it does marginally since it's electronic and not mechanical (somewhat more control over the coil field collapse). 

I just bought the matchbox that was listed in the classifieds and it appears to come with the pedestal and everything. Found my steering idler is shot last night, so I'll pickup a later model 620 coil at the same time.

I asked about this. If the Pertronix is up to it, you could use a lower impedance coil and get a hotter spark, but only if it can handle it. If no,t the pertronix only gets rid of the points and all the replacement, adjusting BS.

• Like 1

I asked about this. If the Pertronix is up to it, you could use a lower impedance coil and get a hotter spark, but only if it can handle it. If no,t the pertronix only gets rid of the points and all the replacement, adjusting BS.

..yep, you set it and forget it.

Yeah, I'm going full EI now hopefully. This matchbox should do the trick. 

I run an 0.044" gap in my Roadster running pertronix with a 3 ohm coil, but it was a direct drop in. 

Way too much gap for Pertronix, .035"  max.  Do not use the NGK 11 series (wide gap)at thi setting  BP6ES  or BPR6ES are best.

What dies set it and forget it mean? Yes it will work on an EI coil or NO it won't????

I think he meant set it and forget it, as in no adjusting dwell or gap or replacing points as a wear item. Once the Pertronix is installed, there's no fussing with it.

And no, I don't think it will work with less than a 3 ohm coil.

It says right on step 4 that you can't run anything less than 3. 

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1181.pdf

• Like 2

I think he meant set it and forget it, as in no adjusting dwell or gap or replacing points as a wear item. Once the Pertronix is installed, there's no fussing with it.

And no, I don't think it will work with less than a 3 ohm coil.

It says right on step 4 that you can't run anything less than 3.

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1181.pdf

..yes it will, my coil is 1.5 ohms and ballast resistor is 1.5, 3 ohms tri.

Semantics RacerX.  You're running 3 Ohms.  If you guys would just read the 1 page Pertronix instructions, its all laid out.  With a diagram even.  

If you cobble a single point Pertronix into a dual point Datsun distributor, you will need to drill mounting holes.  Where do you put them?  It matters!!!  Rotor phasing is key!!!

Again, if you do find a distributor in a Cardone box, run away from it as fast as you can!  You're better off cleaning up a used one on your own.  If the auto parts store is making money on a $47 distributor, what exactly do you think you're buying?  A $50 unadulterated dirty core will be a better distributor!!!

Pertronix is just a point replacement

stock 510 coil is 1.6 and ballast is 1.6 =3.2 ohms close enuff. to 3 ohms.

I run a SUPERCOIL which is .7 ohms and I tthink in the kit came a .85 ohm ballast and I routed in series with the stock 1.6 ohm ballast in series. close to 3 ohms also don't have to be exact, close to 4 amps good or slightly less.

running a low value coil and not ballast may pop the module. this was done on Unilite conversions also. the modules would pop.

I never had a issue(Pertronix as I have spare single points dizzys  to use up (didn't want to throw away)  Ive gone threw like 2 or 3 just plain worn out.

Pertronix is fine

1st and 2nd Gen electronic is good if you have them also.