Timing chain

Trod8812

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn the crank clockwise and that slack on the driver's side will disappear. 

DAFBFC39-82DE-48EF-9D21-C564E4B0EAD9_zps

Make sure the front bolt for the thermostat housing isn't hitting the chain, right where your screwdriver is.

Chain can't hit the valve cover. Any mark is just stains from oil cast off.

Well the motor turns clock wise so I can’t figure out why there would be slack in it when it’s not running

The point is that when running, the crank pulls down hard against the cam's resistance caused by pushing valves open against their springs. It's very possible that the crank may back up slightly from trapped compression or a valve spring pushes the cam sprocket forward slightly just as it comes to rest.

Cheap easy fix. At least it wasn't a timing chain wedge left in.

I wish I could find that screwdriver that I found inside a L series front cover. It was in there at least two years before I got the motor from the guy that left it in there. That must have been noisy.

Turn the center 'cross link' until you have the proper toe.

What I do is get 4 stakes or anything you can hammer into the ground and 2 pieces of string about 10 feet long. Find some level ground. Set the stakes one in front of the other and wide enough to drive the front wheels between. What you want are two parallel string lines about even with the front hubs or half way up the tires. Use a tape measure and measure across at the near and the far end and adjust so the measurements are the same. Any amount but they must be the same and the string parallel. 

Drive the vehicle between them, wheels straight ahead. Measure from the string in to the front leading edge of the rim on both sides and record the numbers. Do the same on the rear of the rim and record them

Add both the front rim measurements and then add the rear measurements. Tire alignment usually has the front very slightly toed in, so the two front measurements added should be more than the rear two measurements added together. On a 14" rim a one centimeter (0.394") difference is about 1 degree. When you make a change and adjust the front in, the rear will spread apart so re-measure the fronts and  the rears, add each pair and compare again. 

Don't forget to tighten the two lock nuts on the cross link.

The '78 (I imagine the '79 is the same) toe in is 0.20-0.28"

My 620 when I got it, if you hit a puddle with one front tire and reduced traction, the other one was so toed in you would find yourself suddenly in the other lane or the gravel. It was scary. Another thing was turning a corner in town. Once the wheel was turned to a certain point the truck would turn sharply in that direction by itself and you'd have to grab it strongly and force it back. Tires were through to the cords on the insides. Previous owners are idiots.