Timing chain

Trod8812

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set the engine to this position with the marked link on the #2 hole.

734F1F3C-5C63-43A6-8D2E-A7963B4A697A_zps

Take the chain off if you have to and turn or adjust crank so the other marked link is on the crank tooth with that dot. There should be 44 links between the two marked chain links and both should be on the distributor side of the engine..

439EE0B5-EA9E-408F-8B04-D1CC05A5A616_zps

The cam and crank are now correctly aligned..

In this picture below, the guide to the right of that marked link needs the bolts loosened and shove it as far to the left as you can and tightened. You can see there is still room left on that slot the bolt is in. Hold the tensioner in as far to the right as you can to make the job easier. You want as much of the slack removed as possible.

A89FEB02-E435-487B-861C-D7332065A93D_zps

look at my L series vid on YOutube

or Vemio.com

Just put in Hainz or Hainz Datsun Lseries

its all in there to look at, just listen carefully

if you put the brite links of chain on the dots on the corresponding cam gear it pretty EZ.  (block)bottom at TDC is near 330 position)

Head cam gear is near 2 Oclock position.

when you put the brite link to the dimple marks on sprockets. you might have to rotate the came fwd or backward to get it lined up and on the sprocket.

one on tighen everything up Slightly and put the front cover on with timming pointer and turn clockwise to TDC and then looat the cam timming marks if V mark and dash line up your good. 

the post #28 photo by Datzenmike shows his is off as the brite link and diple done line up and shows the V and dash not correct also(off a link)

some new Taiwan made chains don't have brite links so one need to put chain on tight and then put from cover on to ck the timming

dont forget to tmme the dist

If you're confused, forget the bright links. Bring the motor to TDC, Without the chain on the upper sprocket, put the sprocket onto the cam and move it until the notch lines up with the dot in the cam plate. Try installing the chain. Is it close? It may be slightly off to one side or the other, but not by much.

After you get the cam timing set, are you ok with installing the oil pump? Line up the dots and put it in as straight as possible to keep the dots lined up.

Oh yeah, like Hainz said, don't forget to set your distributor timming after you're done.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out you real issue...

If crank and cam are at the correct orientation and the right number of link you should be good....

Are you sure it's the chain binding?

Maybe its just the extra tension of the valves springs....

The chain was bound up at the bottom because I did not use a wedge. It is not currently binding I just want to make sure and time it right

When I turn the motor by hand everything looks like it opens and closes when it is supposed to. I could leave the number 1 cylinder at TDC and move the chain around so the timing marks mate up. I’m not sure how important that is. I also never took the chain off of the crank sprocket only the cam sprocket

Take the chain off and get both dark marked links on the distributor side. Should be 44 links between them.

439EE0B5-EA9E-408F-8B04-D1CC05A5A616_zps

See the DOT on the tooth??? Turn the crank to TDC or about 4 o'clock as viewed from the front. Put the dark marked link on that DOT.

734F1F3C-5C63-43A6-8D2E-A7963B4A697A_zps

Now position the cam #2 DOT at about 2 o'clock and get the other Dark marked link on it. This one is close... looks like one tooth off. On an L20B there should be 44 links between the DOTS.

IMAG0224.jpg

Also get that chain guide moved over as far to the right as you can like the picture above. Loosen the two bolts and hold the tensioner in while pushing the guide over as far as it will go, then tighten in place.

If I move the cam link over one to the left it’s a little further away from the divot on the crank sprocket

That looks off to me.... both the dot on the crank and cam sprocket should be pointing directly at the center of the link. ..

It looks like the crank is before the link and the cam is pointing to after the link....

• Like 1

I have the tensioner is not on neither are the guides

Still when the motor runs as you rotate the motor by the crank it tensions the chain.... the spring tensioner on the left keeps the slack side from flopping around.. guides keep it aligned....

And those notches in that pic should be lined up...