Now it was time to wait for a dry day and time in their schedule to start the process. Then I get a call on the 14th saying they are having trouble getting the car on the trailer and asking if I can come help and make sure they don't hurt anything.
This is where they were at when I got there:
The rear wheels were locked up and they were pulling the car up to the trailer using a come-along. The wheels had pushed a bunch of dirt and debris with them and were wedged at the base of the ramps, unwilling to go any further.
After much deliberation, they lifted the back of the car with a backhoe and drug it up over the ramps to the trailer bed where we set it down on dollies. The front wheels turned so from there we continued to pull the car back onto the trailer using a come-along. You know how slow this process is. Having to re-set every 4 feet or so as the spool fills up. Then, about half way there, one of the dollies breaks through the trailer bed - which was old soggy plywood. Oh boy...
Out comes the backhoe again to lift up the rear and preposition it while we find the only non-rotten piece of plywood on the property and put it under the dolly so we can push it back off the trailer when we get to my house without a repeat incident.
All the backhoe work was NOT kind to the rear of the 510 but since it had already been rearended back in the day, and since there was NO trunk floor due to rot, I figured it was no real loss. Plus the options were pretty thin.
Although they thought originally that both cars would fit on the trailer (!) I think at this point they realized one at a time would be plenty. The wagon, now fully exposed, would have to wait for another day.