$50 '76 B210 summer car

I used to pass this car a lot riding my bike on the highway. I stopped and asked the guy if he would consider selling it. He was pretty quick to give it up for 50 bucks, which was a little worrying. Seems like the family bought it new in '76 and put 338k miles on it before they parked it in the bushes in 2002, where it stayed until I got it in 2017.

I had never done any real work on cars before and I thought rebuilding a simple old car would be a good way to learn how.

The phone I had when I first got the car died, so the only early picture of it I have is one my mate took of it on the trailer. I might get those pictures back sometime. Engine and interior were trashy.

HlNFVMDg.jpg?1

The ignition was rigged up at first and the starter wasn't working, so I decided to replace the whole ignition system. Then I took off the head to make sure there wasn't any water or anything in the engine so I didn't break stuff as soon as I tried to crank it. Everything looked good, replaced the head gasket and with some kajiggering it fired up and ran like a charm.

I drove it around for a little while then in the end of summer it started leaking oil out of the exhaust, so took the engine out and disassembled it entirely. Took the block, flywheel and the head to a machine shop and cleaned all the other parts myself. New timing set, piston rings, clutch, radiator, fan, and carb as well.

Maybe a little bit of a hillbilly build but I'm proud over it.

Cb6X1jF.jpg

VMWEE6M.jpg?1

qhoT0M2.jpg?1

• Like 6
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LPO4kfh.jpg?1

57d6FIB.jpg

ep8atq4.jpg

F1CFKsA.jpg

Mechanically all it needs is new suspension and brakes. And a 5 speed tranny. That will be the easy part

As far as the interior goes, I am going to get bucket seats and leave it cleaned out for the most part. Maybe put a nicer dash on if I can find a parts car. And get side windows.

Most of the work remaining on it will probably lie on the bodywork. Every panel is riddled with dents and a few are rusted out entirely

vhjjyOZ.jpg

D2XmZHF.jpg

L1huejl.jpg

c0NwYeC.jpg?1

Once I get that sorted out I can repaint it and put some fly decals 

Heres a little video of it running http://youtu.be/9MaDc_zOQ-4

I put some fog lights on it too I think they're pretty fly

jxQvT0B.jpg

C1dGEKg.jpg

• Like 5

Next phase was to get an electronic distributor in but it's got something stuck in its throat so I'm gonna wait till that clears out before I do anything major to the engine.

Until then I've got some brakestuff to goof around with already got the front pads on.

1EqYP4D.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Haven't really done anything to the car in a while I have been trying to get it working again. It needed an electronic ignition, points stopped working for it.

GfEKeN5.jpg

Also got a neat racing wheel on it.

XVUUNxH.jpg?1

It has enough power now, next step is going to be work on the exterior. Windows, patch the rust holes and paint it. Then the interior, which will mean finding bucket seats that fit it, building a new dash and maybe putting some dyna mat or something where the back seats used to be.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

If it hasn't been said in here before, you can get connectors that are just about factory from Vintage Connections (or is it connectors) dot com. They have just about every electrical connector you could need for your car. I bought one of their kits a few months back and they are a great thing to have. If you do buy one of their kits, make sure you also buy the crimping tool. Using the crimping tool makes the wire and brass (?) connector go together like factory.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been looking for a garage to paint in for a while but couldn't find one so I've built a tarp tent for it

rH71M7d.jpg

It is going to be red. Not too pleased about it but that was the cheapest paint on amazon. Depending on how long it survives I'd like to strip it down to bare metal and paint it blue again with real auto paint and not rustoleum.

Might be hard to see in the pictures but there were quarter size rust spots every few inches on the hood, roof and boot lid. and one of the doors is basically all rust. I spent a while grinding it all off and trying too make it all smooth but I'm not sure where i put the pics.

Where it wasn't rusted the paint buffed up well too. darn shame.

Heres a pic of the door I haven't finished yet.

GNboI9O.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome.  Like Mike said - My first Datsun was a $100 car.  It ran well (60K on the clock), but had been hit in the rear quarter.

It prompted my grandfather to write me a poem - "you can't go far in a $100 car".  He then gave me all of his metric tools - which were worth well more than the car.  

Keep at it - I like where its headed.