67 PL411 front brake shoes

jimmypants

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you compare the rear shoes to the fronts you will notice they are very much alike only the rears are slightly longer at the top..  My goofy neighbor took a set of rear shoes and cut off the "nose" of them and if i remember correctly he only had to drill one hole in each shoe to make the return springs work..

He used a 4 1/2 inch cutoff wheel

BTW,,  70-73 Datsun 510 rear shoes look slightly different,  but are a direct replacement for the 410/411 rears and relatively cheap through Rockauto.com

Before the naysayers come on board with reasons it would never work... That car has had those "jerry-rigged" shoes for more than 2 years,,,  It was the white 411 that drove over 2 hours ,, twice to Portland garage meets and again to Canby last June at an average speed of well over 70 mph...    

:)

• Like 1

From The 510 Realm...

I believe I have the only L13 510 left in Canada. Noel's car went to Oregon a few years back. The new owner thankfully posted here right away, but then I've lost track of who he was.

As for drum brake 510's, the only ones that came North America new were installed on the very few L13 powered 510 4dr sedans. I don't have any documentation that the L13 models were imported into the US. An no L13 wagons have ever been reported to exist in North America. No other L13 cars were imported after this first batch of three on the tree cars arrived in late 1967 fro the '68b MY.

A very unofficial report that I received from a guy who worked in management at a Winnipeg Datsun dealership in 1968 noted that roughly 230 L13 510's were imported into Canada for the '68 model year. I also can not find documentation to prove this number, but this is the only report I have on actual numbers. BTW, the guy that reported this to me drove his L13 car for 10 years, selling it locally in Winnipeg in 1978.  

So these are the only official drum brake 510's that were imported new.
Over the last couple of years however there have been some interesting things show up. Like Jeff's Coupe with drum front brakes! Of course other imported cars like Julian's Whitebird had drum front brakes as that was also originally an L13, 3 on the tree car from the factory.

All I know is that the front drum brake 510 wheel cylinders are more rare to find than an FIA head these days, maybe even more rare new than a twin cam L series....

Byron