Project Storage tub.

Str8jacket

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem solved. Next...

Not quite done. The sealing surface for the carb plate to the bottom of the filter box needs doing. Its on a totally different plane to the carby tops. Need to put some strengthening ribs in the filter box too so it seals better.

• Like 2

20180102_191119.jpg

Linkage bits arrived from UK. Good kit. Welded new lever arms to the standard ones. Need to make a link to go to the centre carb lever. Going to try use the cable cam that came on the throttle body efi. So the throttle feel is smooth and progressive. Need to spin up a shaft and make up a new lever arm to go on it as well. I want it in 2 seperate pieces so at idle it has no load on the cable and it disconnected then takes up as you push the pedal, that way i know the linkages arent going to effect my tuning. Still thinking on the best way to do that.

• Like 3

Had one last day yesterday before i went back to work, had the engine in and out twice to get the extractors right, they had pulled when i welded them iut and the the "fix" was to much and had to adjust them again.

Drivers side was really tight but ended up being the easiest

20180108_162110.jpg

Passenger side just fought me the whole way.

20180108_162046.jpg

The initial reason for pulling the engine again to adjust the extractors was because it was hitting the UCA and the engine wasnt centered, i couldnt finish the air filter box. I got side tracked looking at the monstrosity of a sump on this pathfinder engine.

Plus it only holds 4lts and i need to cut 3in off the bottom

20180108_170826.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Have been doing as much as i can on the ute around wife,kids, and work.

Spent way to much time on the sump. The actual box wasn't to bad, except i only had 1.2mm zinc sheet, i should have gone and bought some plain thin stuff, tig doesnt like the zinc and the pan is so thin that welding to the thicker sheet was shit. Ended up hitting it with the mig instead. I got side tracked building the crank scrapers. Trying to get them to sit right, thinking about where the oil goes cutting them up cause they look crap. Any way done as well as i can. Hopefully the work. Sump easy holds 6lts.

Evertything on. All fits without hitting. The gearbox is huge!

20180201_125532.jpg

20180201_130149.jpg

20180201_125647.jpg

20180201_130123.jpg

• Like 3

Started building the "dust cover" thingy that goes on the bottom side of the bell housing. Mocked it all up with the starter and juat happened to throw the flywheel on to check. Glad i did! Would have been interesting noises. It appears that the cover is also a spacer for the pinion depth. Next drama. 6mm wont fit between sump and bell housing. Made the cover out of 3mm and then double layer the starter spacer part. Finish this today hopefully

20180201_183605.jpg

• Like 2

I do love a good mystery

Ha ha not that exciting. I picked up so.e cheap old school alloy rims. Better offset than my steelies and lighter. Not what id choose if budget was bigger but will do the job

20180202_091318.jpg

Didnt like the chroome look. 2min with pressure pack i had laying around

20180203_111611.jpg

Will strip them back and get a mate to do them properly.

• Like 1

Well it was Ground Hogs Day today! Spent all afternoon re-doing my transmisson cross memeber. The first one was not sitting right and was a bastard to get in and out cause it would jam on the torsion bars. Practically had to pull the trany to get it out.

Got into and forgot to take pics as i went.

20180207_144252.jpg

Finished. Made some little wing wongs to hold the bolts cause i had the shits with fighting the bolts with a spanner and the torsion bars hand brake cable and everything else that decides to get in the way. Just bought more sheet metal gear but im really thinking i should have bought a hoist. Rolling around on the ground is crap.

20180207_180016.jpg

20180207_180029.jpg

Not much room. Going to attack the exhaust next.

20180207_180130.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! Nice work on the crossmember.

Thanks for the nice words, ive seen some of your work so it is good encouragement. Its funny how putting up stuff helps keep you motivated. Plus get some good ideas off of everyone finding 10 different ways to accomplish the same desired result

• Like 1

20180208_144509.jpg

20180208_144622.jpg

Finished up Ok. Fit the shortened tail shaft up, had both the front section and the rear section shortened. Not sure how I managed it but my measurements were spot on, the bolt holes for the centre bearing lined up perfect! Will need to lower the car back to ride height and double check the angles, may need a 5mm packer, then I will probably need to slot the holes . Chipping away at it

• Like 5

Thanks for the nice words, ive seen some of your work so it is good encouragement. Its funny how putting up stuff helps keep you motivated. Plus get some good ideas off of everyone finding 10 different ways to accomplish the same desired result

Well, you certainly aren't a novice fabricator. I have seen some real crap and your work is very clean.

• Like 1

Well, you certainly aren't a novice fabricator. I have seen some real crap and your work is very clean.

I spend too much time comparing my hobby learnt skills to professionals that post works of art on the internet. Got to remember that it is like facebook, people dont post photos of shit jobs theyve done or things that have not worked well after bulk hours spent building etc.

• Like 2