Photo
- - - - -

KA swap: Best QUIET efi in line fuel pump?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Three B's Racing

Three B's Racing

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cars:yes!

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

EFI pump..

#42 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Cars:67.5 roadster, M3, TR6 w/ 302

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

So, after all this great advice, it has been determined that the fuel line was clogged, so the pump was screaming. Tank pulled, cleaned and lined. New filter. Will fire it up this weekend and see if all is well.

#43 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

Always something simple. I can't believe you wasted our precious time before you checked all the simple stuff.

Just kidding.

#44 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

Matt and others....

DW100 from Deatschwerks on the way.

In tank it is. Or will be.

That inline MSD pump moaned like Stormy Daniels servicing ... well, an executive

#45 jesusno2

jesusno2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Cars:2004 wrx goon datsun 210 86 720

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

you decided against the bosch 044 pump or the TRE pump 

#46 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Monica Lewinksy

#47 datsunrides

datsunrides

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Cars:Too many :)

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

Here is how I did my in tank pump. The parts used were from a 97' Kia Sportage.

rBtJ2k.jpg

XjIYQ6.jpg

IESWWP.jpg

3DEpN8.jpg

If I did it again, I would probably use the setup from Tanks, Inc. No welding with their setup. Aeromotive has a bolt in setup also, but it is pricey.

#48 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

you decided against the bosch 044 pump or the TRE pump 

Yes. I checked several sources and determined the Bosch 44 pump is one of the louder pumps. I really thought about the TRE based on your recommendation, Luke, but once I decided to go in tank I decided to buy the Deatschwerks DW100 as they offered it to me for $99 - and that is with a lifetime warranty.

My new best friend Justin used a similar approach to the Datsunride method posted and cut the top off a 240sx tank, then installed the surge pan, then popped in the Deatschwerks pump with all new filter-strainer, etc.

Justin cleaned the 521 tank, welded it, then cleaned the outside and did a very, very nice paint job on the assembly. He also installed all new 5/16 vibrant fuel lines and refurbished an evaporating system from a later model S15 and installed that near the underside of the bed near the tailgate .... there will be no gas fumes or venting problems with this setup:)

All fittings were upgraded to be ethanol safe. Justin also installed an OEM 240sx fuel filter holder so I can use an OEM steel housing fuel filter. I don't want to worry about a leaky or cracked plastic fuel filter failure down the road.

We used the 5/16 fuel line sizing as I will never exceed 400hp (even in the unlikely event I decided to turbo this someday).

The Deatschwerks pump flows 165lph, so again I will never need that full capacity. And Justin says it is very quiet.

I have some great pics of all of this work but no hosting account.

I really appreciate all of the advice from others as I worked through which way to go with fuel system improvements.

Frankly, I want to drive this sucker and never worry about the fuel system again except to occasionally change filters.

I once had a fuel fire in an old VW and while this was back in the late '70s that memory is still vivid.

And if I want to keep smelling gasoline fumes I would really rather be driving an old prewar racer than than a Datsun ... that's why the roadster and the 521 both have efi swaps now:) I will get my fill of the memorable aroma of high test at Buttonwillow's British extravaganza or at the event formerly known as the Monterey Historic Races, thank you!

#49 G-Duax

G-Duax

prickly in San Antonio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Cars:73 620 & 90 Toyota Cressida

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

But sniffing race fuels is half the fun..........

"All of a sudden it started making noise, then started losing power. I limped the car home and tried to get it up the driveway, the engine just died."

Why do people do this?

A $100 tow bill is never as much as the extra damage you cause by trying to "limp the car home".

Don't be that person !

#50 mhub91

mhub91

M&M

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Cars:'93 240SX, '78 620, '76 B210, '65 320

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

My intake pump is super loud!  It's a Walbro, maybe that's the issue.  

Worst / Loudest god damn pump there is!!!!! I will never use a walbro 255 again. Aeromotive, for me.

#51 kelowg

kelowg

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Cars:70 521 ka24e

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

Just got a walboro,doesnt seem that loud to me. But does that some getting used too.