Photo

new here, first 521, first Datsun, finding parts?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 rodjr

rodjr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cars:1971 521 pickup, Meyers Manx clone build in progress

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

That is not the best place for it, but plug the hole that the case is vented to now and connect the vent to the PCV valve, it will work there, but not the best place for it.

I would imagine you are having issues with your idle the way it is piped now.

Oh yeah, idle is unpredictable.

#42 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, idle is unpredictable.

The reason it is unpredictable is you have a vacuum leak, a major vacuum leak, I am surprised it will idle at all, my PCV valve broke once, my idle was uncontrollable, is jumped from 800rpms to over 2000rpms, and mine was not near the leak you likely have unless it has a PCV valve where you case hose is piped and you just cannot see it.

#43 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 15,242 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

I just noticed the vaccum advance on the manifold now. Yes as mentioned that is wrong. I would disconnect it if you don't have a port fro the carb and retimed to motor to run best as it can. But should be a port on side of carb as this one has a metal line you should be able to find where it USED to go.

faster you go to a Weber DGV 5A(manual choke) the better. these carbs are pushing 50yrs old. they not going to be perfect anymore.

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#44 rodjr

rodjr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

I disconnected the vac advance and put a timing light on it.

I have a pulley with 6 notches. Looking from front of engine left to right, small notch, large notch, then 4 small notches. I assume 5 after, tdc, 5,10,15,20 btdc?

If that it the case my distributor runs out of adjustment at 5 btdc.

Either i have the wrong pulley or the wrong dizzy / mount or the pulley makes no sense to me.

There is a pcv valve on the breather hose, just could not see it. The hose is completely split so it does nothing anyway, just acting as a plug. Going to have to fab a reducer pipe to get that back together.

#45 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

You need to either plug that other PCV you have or remove it and put a plug in that hole in the intake.

That hole is the one I use for power brakes.

#46 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

"I have a pulley with 6 notches. Looking from front of engine left to right, small notch, large notch, then 4 small notches. I assume 5 after, tdc, 5,10,15,20 btdc?"

We all know what happens when you assume, but in this case, you are right.

There is a bolt with a 8 mm head that goes up through the timing plate between the distributor, into the distributor, under the distributor.  It also can be used to set timing, it also has a slotted hole in the timing plate.

#47 rodjr

rodjr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Got the timing dialed in and ordered some hoses and a plug to fix the currently dysfunctional pcv system.

Curious.... My dizzy is dual point but one side is not connected to any thing, so it is effectively single point. Can anyone tell me how this is SUPPOSED to be connected/wired?

#48 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

If it works the way it is leave it alone, otherwise by a real Matchbox distributor/coil(used), don't buy a new copy from anyone else.

#49 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

By the way, you need to fix everything vacuum related, once all of it is fixed and working properly, then time it again.

I mean everything, get the vacuum advance sorted out so it works properly, replace that PCV valve pointed up with a plug, everything needs to be properly piped.

#50 rodjr

rodjr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

Thanks Wayne, Don't suppose you would know where i can find a matchbox and coil in good condition? This one does work but i would like to find a matchbox and keep this for an emergency spare.

#51 gene knight

gene knight

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Cars:various datsun toys, vw bug, chevy silverado, mitsubishi outlander,plymouth barracuda fastback

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

nice 521

#52 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Wayne, Don't suppose you would know where i can find a matchbox and coil in good condition? This one does work but i would like to find a matchbox and keep this for an emergency spare.

I am actually looking for one myself, they came on 1978/79 Datsun 620 trucks, they also came on the 1980 Datsun 720, they came on some cars also, but there are not that many cars out there them years, but they imported a shit load of trucks.

#53 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

By the way you need the pedestal also, do not by a Matchbox without the pedestal.

#54 flatcat19

flatcat19

Back in Black

• 20,425 posts
  • Cars:Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

You said your brakes take two pumps to be a solid pedal. Does it hold solid?

If yes, adjust tighter. If no, and pedal is spongy or falls to floor- then you have a bad leak or air.

No power brakes means shoes/wheel cylinders don't stay "energized." If they are just the slightest bit loose it will take a pump for the cylinder to hit the shoe, another pump to push on it.

Your brake drum should not come off without some extra effort.

You can't hang if your nuts haven't dropped...it's physics

#55 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Nissan used a dual point distributor in the 1970's for controlling emissions.  The second set of points was retarded 5 distributor degrees, or 10 crankshaft degrees, in third gear, part throttle.  The second set of points is not used any other time.  The second set of points is connected in parallel with the first set of points, by a relay.  There is are switches on the transmission, the clutch pedal, the throttle pedal, and the carburetor, that control the point relay.

521 wheel cylinders only have one port for fluid to go in and out.  You have to use the motion of the brake shoes collapsing when pressure is released to push air out of the wheel cylinders, and out the bleeder valve.   Using a pressure bleeder does not allow wheel cylinder air to escape the wheel cylinders, and using a vacuum bleeder on the wheel cylinder bleeder probably will not remove all the air from the wheel cylinder.

You have to bleed 521 brakes the old fashioned way, with two people usually.  Pump up the brakes, and hold pressure.  While pedal pressure is being held, open the bleeder valve, and keep it open until the brake pedal goes to the floor, and the shoes collapse again.  Then close the bleeder, and after the bleeder is closed, then the brake pedal can be allowed to come up, and pumped up again.   Three full movements of the brake pedal, and refill the master cylinder.

#56 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

Daniel I chose not to even talk about the dual points because it is likely none/some of the stuff to make them work is not even there anymore, it is complicated if one knows nothing about the system, fact is I don't know enough myself to explain to someone how to make it work, as you mentioned above there are several things needed.

It is just way easier to buy a matchbox/pedestal/coil, set it up and forget about that and work on other things.

#57 mainer311

mainer311

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Cars:1968 SPL311 Roadster, 1971 PL521 Pickup

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

I completely removed the secondary points setup on my truck. I'm sure it worked when new, but now it's just a bunch of stuff that overly complicates things. I went so far as to remove the secondaries from the dizzy, and removed a bunch of wiring back to the firewall. I even cut off the full throttle switch bracket from the carb. Anything to clean up the engine bay and simplify the way the truck works is a plus to me. It's not my daily, but the more reliable, the better.

#58 rodjr

rodjr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Good way to store an emergency set of points and condenser.

I went through all the boxes of parts that came with the truck........6 pos distributors but one is a D4k9-08 matchbox with base. I believe it has issues though as the center rotor at times catches the metal points on the outside as you spin it. Shaft is not super loose but obviously has some movement. Does anybody rebuild these things? Can the module be easily tested and are they available if it is bad?

Thanks for the tips on the brakes, they come right up and hold on the second stab. I thought they were adjusted ok as they all had some drag but i will go ahead and re-adjust a bit tighter. 

#59 dat521gatherer

dat521gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  • Cars:3 521's 75 b210 80 supra 80 audi 4000 80 b310

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

Very nice truck.

#60 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

If the brakes are adjusted and bled correctly, the brake pedal should be higher than the gas pedal on the first push.