L20b 86mm pistons

Kingcab

So I have a 79 l20b I just got done installing 86mm pistons in it and I replaced all the crank bearings as well. Everything other than the pistons bearings and rings carb headers and dissy are stock (engine wise) I can get it started just fine I can get it to idle also, but it has a slight stumble wile idling and it stumbles pretty bad in lower rpms. Can anyone help me figure out why it's stumbling and won't run smooth...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything other than the pistons bearings and rings carb headers and dissy are stock (engine wise)

Ok first this line is confusing....

So You bored the engine to 86mm, that has new parts....

Carb headers and dizzy are pre-existing on the engine?

If that is true....

Have you checked timing?

And have you adjusted the carb at All?

Mainly the air/fuel....

• Like 1

Yes I got the cylenders bored out 1mm oversize original bore is 85mm and I bored to 86mm and got 86mm pistons. I have timed it a few difrent times advancing the time and reatarting the time, both the timing chain and dizzy. I have adjusted the carb more than several times. And all aftermarket parts I have installed myself. It all ran good before the bore and piston installation.

Probably the carb. Sediment stirred up removing or mounting it.

Firing order is 1342.

Set timing to 12 degrees BTDC

Check valve lash just in case.

Set engine to TDC turning the crank up to the zero timing mark in a clockwise direction only. If you over shoot back well up and re-do as  many times as necessary. Must be clockwise and stop to remove all traces of chain slack and get a good reading. Now take the valve cover off and look through the top hole in the cam sprocket. You should see the V notch in the back of the sprocket just below and slightly to the left of the small horizontal line etched into the cam thrust plate above it. Like this...

otMggUE.jpg

If you have this..... the cam is properly timed

• Like 1

Is the carburetor a stock Hitachi or Weber ? 

If it is stock Hitachi and you took it off and turned it upside down at any point to clean or whatever...  They don't like that,, i don't know why if it's built up sediment that gets loose or just something else,, but i seen it do exactly what you're describing a couple of times.  Try taking out the screw in plugs under the float bowl ( you can do this without removing carb from engine) and run some clean gas or carb spray through ,, into,, it. 

Before all the Weber lovers get on here and spew their hate.. A Hitachi is a thousand times better daily driver carb than a Weber will ever be without jetting and all that horseshit.  Hitachi's aren't that hard to learn to rebuild if you are at all not a knothead,  and have a clean,, and very organised work space the first time you try.. 

I just noticed this is posted in wrong section

• Like 2

Nanner I totally agree. For a much more complex Hitachi carb you get way better drive-ability and mileage. Did you know that the Hitachi was designed with a slight leak back into the float chamber from the accelerator pump? This allows gas to return rather than being dumped into the primary when you slowly step on the gas. The faster you step on it the more gas squirts in. On a Weber no matter how fast or slow you step on the gas the same amount goes in from the pump diaphragm. Little things like this.

The Weber is the AK 47 of carbs. It's no more than a pipe that mixes gas and air.

• Like 1

And is it a real weber....

I ask because someone else here just got a new weber which may not have been a real one and he was all of a sudden having a bitch of a time to get his to run right too....

Lucky for him the company warranteed it and sent him a replacement and all his problems went away for now....

Have you opened the carb up at all to clean it?

Everything else seems to be correct...

Well depending on the type of timing light you have I know 2 ways to do it....

Basically the pointer on the crank is what you need to read....

I believe the l20b has notches on the pulley and a single pointer mounted...

Should look like this....

Screenshot_20171207-145251.png

Basically top is top dead center....

Verify that location is correct and the pointer is pointing to the notch....

The the light gets hooked to #1 plug wire... the flashing should make the pointer point in between the 10 and 15 mark....

That's was for a fixed timing light....

If you have one you can input the advance it's even better....

With those I set the advance to 12 for the base timing and read the timing at the zero mark on the pulley...

Same to check full advance except I would set for around 32...

If it's not at zero add or subtract from 12 on the gun to make it read closer to zero....

Whatever you end up at... 10 12 14 or more... that is your base timing....

Adjust the distributor by rotating....

If you want 12 for your timing, put 12 in your gun and rotate the dizzy till it gives you the best zero reading on the pointer and pulley....

If using a regular timing light you would rotate the dizzy to get the pointer to read between the 10 and 15......

• Like 1

Compression test #1 cylender 150 #2 #3 #4 all 180 I'm gunna go ahead and take the head off and see what's going on.

Well that's unfortunate....

I don't know if you pulled the head yet or not... but isn't there a trick like putting a little oil in the cylinder to see if it's the rings?

With the head off you can make sure the the valves are sealing?

I know you probably wanna figure out why number 1 is low... but my question to the others here is would that cause the problem you described?

Don't pull the head off, yet. 150 is a bit low for brand new. The lowest cylinder should be within 10% of the highest. Yours is 20%

A couple of teaspoons of engine oil will seal leaking rings and boost the compression. If it doesn't go up significantly then it will be the valves not sealing.

You staggered the ring ends correctly when installing the pistons?