'85 4x4

ClumsyBird

You should go back and take the time to pull the wiring harness and all of the the relays timers, and switches.  It is easiest to pull the dash.

I pull the dash and take my time working fro the fuse box to the fuel pump relay on the passenger side.  then I go under the hood and pull every electrical item and work my way acrossth the radiator support.  then I pull everythinh loose on the passengerside under the hood.  I lay all the wiring from the driverside over the radiator support, then I start fishing all the wirng realys and devices that fit through the firewall.  If there is something plugged into the harness that will not fit through the hole in the firewall I un plug it and once the plug is through the firewall i go into the cab and plug the device back into where I unplugged it.  I work back and forth from outside under the hood to inside the cab working the harness through into the cab.

I pulled a 1984 harness today and it took me 2 hours to pull every thing except the rear harness the ceiling harness for the interior light.  I have pulled probably getting close to 50 720 harnesses and never cut one in the process.

You need the harness for the AC and all the AC and heater related items.  Did you get the AC hoses and the condenser in front of the radiator.

I am going back to the yard in the morning do you want me to pull you a tensioner bracket and tensioner pulley?  There are 4 720 trucks that have AC.

Also if you go back I would love to get the fender badges with the red and blue on them.

Edited by Charlie69
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I haven't been updating, I had some out of town seasonal work and haven't been home for months. Wasn't able to get the wiring harness, the bum sold it already and didn't tell me, It seems like I've got everything else though. Not sure what I'm going to do with the all the AC stuff though. A part of me wants to just turn the AC compressor into a little air compressor for the trail and trade away the rest. So an update is in order. I basically had the truck buttoned up and driving before I realized the bed issue, I decided I really liked the long bed and that extra length would come in handy as a camping rig. Since they are two completely frames, I decided to swap everything back, everything. Cab, engine, all of it. Fortunately I was able to do it far quicker this time. Thanks to the practice run. I literally could have just swapped the drive train from the white truck and I would be driving by now! Instead of two engine removals and cab swaps. But first I had to take it down to bare metal.

IMG_0266.jpg

Then I wirewheel'd out the bed, pounded most of the dents out, and coated it with bill hirsch chasis paint.

IMG_0267.jpg

Was able to swap the everything back before I left, I wasn't able to connect basically anything yet but here it is as it stands.

IMG_0270.jpg

When I get back to it here in a minute I need to install some new cab mounts I ordered online. Test the engine and trans to make sure my rebuilds are solid. If thats all good, then I'm going to move on to electrical and make sure everything is a-ok. After that, I'll get to work on all the fun stuff

• Like 2

I might have an AC harness for you.  I have started cleaning my garage and i know I have some 720 harnesses hoarded just not sure if I have cut them up for other repairs. I know I have an 85 4x4 if I can find it.  Was yours carbureted or throttle body injection originally?  I have both.

Edited by Charlie69

Thank you ClumsyBird.

The Rodeo & Trooper seats are much more comfortable and better built than the stock 720 seats.

I have an 85 720 4x4 harness that is for the TBI.  I know I have one for carbed also but have not found it yet.  I believe it my be in the box with the 86 D21 automatic harnesses.

• 4 weeks later...

Put the truck basically all back together, tried turning it over and it cranks for a second and then the engine engine locks up. It does this irregularly in the starting cycle which basically whittles it down to the timing or flywheel. Did a little digging and it turns out these are interference engines, IE the piston crosses the plane of the deck ever so slightly, so its very likely I did the timing incorrectly when I replaced the chain. Rats. Probably will need new valves for sure, pistons maybe

• Like 1

Maybe the battery is low. Recharge it first and try again.

Timing may be too advanced and the piston is trying to go backwards against the starter. Turn the distributor counter clockwise some and try again.

If changing the chain it would have been set to TDC and the cam and chain aligned to the timing marks. If you turned the cam while the head was off or at TDC with the chain off it's possible to bend a valve. It's unlikely.

• Like 1