#1 bottomwatcher

bottomwatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cars:82 720, 68 beetle + dailies

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Tonight I was greeted with the battery light lighting up when shutting of the truck. Popped the hood and the alternative was making a buzzing noise. Diodes shit the bed? Got a spare so no big issue. Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and what the solution was.

#2 bottomwatcher

bottomwatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

Rereading this it doesn't sound right. My spare is used and with the junk rebuilds out there I would like to rebuild this myself. I was wondering if anyone else has done their own rebuild? guess I will order a rebuild kit with all the parts and give it a go. Sorry for the confusing post.

#3 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

I have done it and thought it wasnt worth doing as the bridge rectifier(most likely from china anyways) cost more than a clean in the box mexican rebuild from Vatozone.

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#4 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 70,286 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Battery light should come on with key in ON and engine not running. Diodes don't buzz, in fact there are no moving parts other that the rotor an bearings. Sure the buzz wasn't coming from a relay nearby? or the rad hose? If alternator, check for the obvious loose wire or poor connection. 

Did the other alternator fix the problem??? You didn't say. If it did then this was the alternator or loose connection that was fixed by the replacement procedure.

Posted Image

#5 bottomwatcher

bottomwatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

Well here we go. This is a ka conversion. I used the 240sx alternator because it looked to be in better shape along with the 240 bracket. I had the spare hardbody alt. No worky with 240 bracket. Switched to harbody bracket bolts up but belt is wrong and there is no access to to the wiring due to the 240 intake manifold. Well F me! Got to stick with the 240 bracket and alt. When engine swapping it is all the little things that will drive you nuts! Gonna get a 240 sx alt and call it good.

#6 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts
  • Cars:It's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

If you switch pulley will belt work?  Or is it not lining up ?

So somehow while i was driving back from Eaglerock swap meet i somehow caused YOU to post this,,,, do really think members on this site are that stupid to believe i caused it??

http://community.rat...un-for-a-while/

Yeah i guess you do,,

BTW ,,,, the first person to call you a pussy,,,, ya might wanna check out his ethnicity ,, cuz i don't think it's what you think it is there snowflakeboy

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#7 bottomwatcher

bottomwatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:08 AM

I actually had switched pulleys and the original belt was too long. Couldn't access plug on alt anyways because of manifold. Then tried a 720 alt I had laying around an the hole on that is too high for the truck alt mount. About blew a gasket so walked away and will pick up an autozone reman for a 240sx and call it good.