Hi gents. It's been a while since I posted anything regarding my 1972 521 as she's been running great for quite some while.
I've some pretty prolific oil leaks from I think the from of the engine which I'd love to fix but probably that's for a later day.
The immediate issue is the charging system. I checked the battery terminals and they seem ok, all other connection points appear sound,
tight and I've not changed anything in some years. Perhaps 10 years ago I'd replaced the alternator with a rebuild and it seemed to be good.
I can't imagine putting more than 3000 miles ( and that's a stretch ) since as I just don't drive her much.
Here's what I observe. The truck starts normally and runs well. Normally the ignition light goes out after a few seconds. Occasionally
it does not. Most often the ignition light comes on a few minutes after the truck has been running a while. I took a VOM and measured the voltage across
the battery terminals before the light popped on and I was getting about 14.5 volts. After the light popped on the reading dropped to somewhat over battery voltage- 12.x. Before this happens I heard loud clicking( nearly a knocking ) from the voltage regulator. I could swear I smell a mild burnt 'something'
smell from the engine compartment but very faint and I can't see anything. Both wires to the battery are cool, doesn't exhibit any overheating due to faulty contact.
So my question is it the alternator or the voltage regulator that needs attention or both?