"Swamp thing" JBC 510 racecar

Icehouse

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just before we got together, we had a little talk and we think we will be changing the racing series we will be entering.  Apparently the races at Monroe are basically full contact.  We are excited to drive but want to do it more than once.  So we are looking at Lucky Dog now.  Jeff and Sam can elaborate.  But basically, we have more time to get ready but also have a lot more leeway on how we build the car...  That meant that Tuesday we did a lot more talking and planning than building but still we got some stuff done.

We were checking seat height vs cage height to see if we can stay legal with the cage currently in the car (it's pretty low, so the seat will need to be basically on the floor)

large.5a45e0c6a2f47_12192017swampthing(1

Jeff found a cam.  It's a warm street cam.  "Better than stock" but not a race cam.  That's fine because the races are 6 hours long so we need a good solid durable motor, not a qualifying grenade.

large.5a45e0c8bd0a0_12192017swampthing(2

The R180 that was in the car was welded.  The R160 we were planning to run is a great gear ratio (4.34?) but now we may go LSD since we don't have to use stock components anymore...

large.5a45e0caa63a9_12192017swampthing(3

Sam ripped off the truck bumpers and Jeff stripped the rest of the garbage off the front end.   Looks like a 510 again!

large.5a45e0cc74308_12192017swampthing(4

Sam popped off the door skin.  We will be removing the "shield" from the cage.

large.5a45e0ce91a9b_12192017swampthing(5

While I was able to get all the rear suspension out from under the back of the car.

large.5a45e0d0b8dac_12192017swampthing(6

A new additional list has been generated...  We've got some more work to do.

large.5a45e0d26ff56_12192017swampthing(7

• Like 4

Those Delta cams are not per spec. They are maybe stock lift. I micked one out. was like .390-400 lift then minus lash

the champion mine would leak using the Cap it came with. then I put 1/4 Prestone leak stop and went to the stock cap and has neen fine in my 521. needed 14 plactic washers to rest of the core support to fit correctly

hey I got a extra R180 with 510 Haft sshafts . have some money? has low gear ratio

• Like 1

The cam lift is at the valve and there is a valve ratio usually anyways.  Your the L motor guy.  What is the rocker ratio on the L series?  

Find out what ratio the diff ratio is.  If its 4.36 or lower (4.44, 4.63 etc) I'll take it!  Otherwise find the original box, pack it up nice and toss it in the river!   I'd give you money but Trump is saving you so much on your taxes you won't need anymore :)  

Those Delta cams are not per spec. They are maybe stock lift. I micked one out. was like .390-400 lift then minus lash

the champion mine would leak using the Cap it came with. then I put 1/4 Prestone leak stop and went to the stock cap and has neen fine in my 521. needed 14 plactic washers to rest of the core support to fit correctly

hey I got a extra R180 with 510 Haft sshafts . have some money? has low gear ratio

• Like 1

Another Tuesday another group effort.  Sam was out but Paul joined in his place.  Thanks Paul!

After we pulled the motor back out, he and Jeff stripped the few remaining items out of the engine bay and spent the evening stripping the paint.

large.5a4d93ad8b729_01022018turbotuesday

Jeff has a good "after" pic he can share.

I was able to get the steel plate off the drivers side door bars and spent the remainder of the evening stripping and de-rusting them.

large.5a4d93afa33ac_01022018turbotuesday

Oh yeah, and we test fitted the radiator.

Seems so silly that someone would go through the trouble of making something without making it right.  Like Hainz said, spacers will be required.  :confused:   Dummies...  :no: 

• Like 3

rocker ratio is lik1 1.48(1.5).

Diff ratio IM not sure. run smaller tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the Trump Statment. Dude Im i HOG Heaven my 401k plan is going UP in the logrithmic scale. Oh I paid off my house now too.

Jeff I can help you. put that 510 money in US Capital stocks. its only going to go up for a least a yr.  Dont watch MSNBC and CNN. they are loosers.

OH shit stock just jit 25K mark .Fuckyeah up 150pts just today. $$$$$$$$$$$ Shit EZer than selling 510 parts were they actually like you said go DOWN in value

• Like 3

If you plan to run 15" tires for enduro racing, I'd go with Nitto NT01 in 205/50. I run these on my IT7 Mazda RX7. THey last 2 season and seem to get faster the more you heat cycle them.

For 13" I'd go with a Toyo Proxes R888 in a 225/45 or the newer R888R in 185 or 205/60. 

• Like 1

If you plan to run 15" tires for enduro racing, I'd go with Nitto NT01 in 205/50. I run these on my IT7 Mazda RX7. THey last 2 season and seem to get faster the more you heat cycle them.

For 13" I'd go with a Toyo Proxes R888 in a 225/45 or the newer R888R in 185 or 205/60. 

I will check out the NT01 we have to run a tread wear 200 tire.  I want to try a 225 since I've ran narrower tires on my daily/autox car and experienced the grip level they provide.  

Our car sure would look cool with a Futo Fab sponsor sticker on it :)  hehe

• Like 1

rocker ratio is lik1 1.48(1.5).

Diff ratio IM not sure. run smaller tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the Trump Statment. Dude Im i HOG Heaven my 401k plan is going UP in the logrithmic scale. Oh I paid off my house now too.

Jeff I can help you. put that 510 money in US Capital stocks. its only going to go up for a least a yr. Dont watch MSNBC and CNN. they are loosers.

OH shit stock just jit 25K mark .Fuckyeah up 150pts just today. $$$$$$$$$$$ Shit EZer than selling 510 parts were they actually like you said go DOWN in value

What goes up must come down. Good luck with that..

• Like 1

I will check out the NT01 we have to run a tread wear 200 tire.  I want to try a 225 since I've ran narrower tires on my daily/autox car and experienced the grip level they provide.  

Our car sure would look cool with a Futo Fab sponsor sticker on it :)  hehe

NT01 has a 100 tread wear, the NT05 is 200.

How about a FutoFab windshield banner?

• Like 4

NT01 has a 100 tread wear, the NT05 is 200.

How about a FutoFab windshield banner?

Sure!  That would be rad.  I gotta make sure Sam and Carter are down with rocking it but I'm sure they will be.  

I'm waiting for Maxxis to release the VR1 in a 225 so I can run 15x8 with 225 front, 15x9 with 245 rear.. They sell the 245 now but no 225, just the 205..

I just ordered Riaval S 1.5's in 225.   A good buddy I race with swears by them and says they do the best when they are hot unlike the others.  

So i'm going to just come right out and say it.........

Does no-one else think the guy on the left is the crazy Dr. scarecrow dude from Batman begins?? 

The heart of every good racecar is the motor right?

large.5a160ba251e3c_11212017turbotuesday

Block looked okay.  Some evidence of a small headgasket leak.

Head is a tasty version of the A87

• Like 4
  • Icehouse changed the title to "Swamp thing" JBC 510 racecar