I just acquired a 510, currently formulating a plan

ShiftyMcGrifty

Hello Everyone!

I've been a fan of the 510 since I was a kid. I had relatives that had pics of their old 510s, and always thought they were an awesome car. 

Decades pass, and this car pops up 4 miles away from me. It's in rough shape, but I snagged it for $600.

How I found it:

01PBPCD.jpg

how it sits now:

iN5DaeJ.jpg

Number one priority before sinking money into it, would be to take care of that front clip damage. Good news is the car is relatively rust free. 

djVi7xR.jpg

Full Gallery Here

My overall goal for this project will be street legal AutoX/Race Car... I have time, patience, and funds to eventually get here. My question I'd like to throw out there, is how you'd approach getting that damage straightened out decently enough (enough to get a hood, fender, and headlights back in place)?

My thought on sequencing would be

• bend/fix the body
  • Sand surface rust, repair/weld where needed
  • Engine
  • Drivetrain
  • Suspension
  • Interior (bucket seats, roll cage, etc.)
  • Auxiliary electronics (non essentials for engine function, but essential for making it street legal)

I expect the endeavor to take 1.5 years to get it where I want. This forum is amazing, glad to be here. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get any doors? I believe I still have the doors from a 4 door I had that was wrecked the doors where not hit. I'll look when I get back to the building this Sunday. I used to live in Sandy Springs back in the mid 70s. Now I'm in Mississippi about 100 miles north of New Orleans. It looks very fixable and it has flares to boot.

Did you get any doors? I believe I still have the doors from a 4 door I had that was wrecked the doors where not hit. I'll look when I get back to the building this Sunday. I used to live in Sandy Springs back in the mid 70s. Now I'm in Mississippi about 100 miles north of New Orleans. It looks very fixable and it has flares to boot.

I have all 4 doors with glass! Car is pretty disassembled at this point.

Yes, I did buy it here! San Antonio area.

I knew it, I even have a picture of it from when it was posted on Craigslist in a storage depot. I was thinking about buying it since I had just purchased a 510 and was in need of rear quarter panels since mine are rusty. But I never managed to get him under $1200 for the shell, and I had just paid $1400 for mine and its way more complete. So I just couldn't see myself spending more for a shell that needed more work. X.x But you my friend just did a great job on lowering his asking price. :P bBut I guess it was for the best since now it will be restored and not chopped up.

P.S Us Texans with 510 should meet up sometime once our shells are back on the road! :D

I knew it, I even have a picture of it from when it was posted on Craigslist in a storage depot. I was thinking about buying it since I had just purchased a 510 and was in need of rear quarter panels since mine are rusty. But I never managed to get him under $1200 for the shell, and I had just paid $1400 for mine and its way more complete. So I just couldn't see myself spending more for a shell that needed more work. X.x But you my friend just did a great job on lowering his asking price. :P bBut I guess it was for the best since now it will be restored and not chopped up.

P.S Us Texans with 510 should meet up sometime once our shells are back on the road! :D

May be a while! But yeah! Don’t see a lot of 510s here

No hard feelings

I think cheaper to buy a more complete one

when I sell my beater510 it will under 3k for sure. LSD 40 mm Mukunis 15x7 Rotas

I just sold my yellow 510 convert with LSD, box flair 44mikunis 3 pc compomotives 15x8,7s ,konig seats euro lenses      for 5K, meaning to this is cheaper to buy one done than spend 10k on a 4k car

I understand that. This gave me an opportunity to take the shell, which I currently have options for fixing or getting a donor front clip.

I’m not too worried about it not running for a while. I want to build this from scratch. Clean up the body, and do it right. All said, I’ll be in it for another 5-7k, and it’ll be exactly how I want it.

May be a while! But yeah! Don’t see a lot of 510s here

Yeah, me neither, I'm the only person in my city maybe even county to have one as far as I know. I already finished rebuilding my L20B, just need a distributor part to get it back running thogether with new brake lines. Hopefully I install the A/C too before the summer kicks in.