Project Log (13 Jan 18):
Start Time: 1700
End Time: 2200
Decided to weld in my first patch panel. I want to relocate the battery to the trunk. The spot I want to put it looks like swiss cheese
To Do (Daily):
- Cut out old pieces
- Make template
- Cut New Metal
- Weld in place (Still need to go back and finish)
1. I thought I had already purchased cut off wheels for my new angle grider, I had not so the first thing I had to do is run to Harbor Freight to get more cut off wheels. I did use my dremel for the first portion, but it just ate the cut off discs too fast, and I ain’t made of money.
- The cut off discs for the larger grinder aren’t as nice as the dremel, but they also aren’t nearly as expensive
- I could use a better work table, but I already have the kids go-kart on it
- A combination of the 4.5” grinder and dremel was how I removed all the metal
- I decided to leave the raised area which made it way more difficult to create the patch panel (hindsight says level it)
- Used sanding wheel to clean up the areas it worked really well cutting through the old tar type stuff a previous owner sprayed in there
2. I used construction paper and crayons to make the templates. The Cut out looked like the first image in the images section (where the dotted line is a curve up to meet the raised section).
3. A friend of mine (Thank you Darrel) game me some metal so I traced the replacement piece onto it
- Learning Point: You need to be very precise with tracing and creation of templates (I more ballparked it and it added a TON of time)
- I cut the piece too big, and I didn’t cut everything in straight lines which requires more precisions
- I used the 4.5” Cut off wheel to cut out the entire pice
4. I did not do a great job of bending the piece into place. I did use a vice and a piece of wood to shape it, which did give me a good surface to shape against (Another reason to cut out a larger piece to help with this
5. Tac’d in the panel after making several more cuts and shaping changes on it
- I had quite a bit of burn through (I was using .035 flux core, will be switching to .030 flux core next time)
- I tac’d then moved around
- I did a ton of adjustments on the machine (probably didn’t help that much), I watch a few videos after on YouTube, I think I have some ideas to do better next time
- When I finished there were still quite a few holes in the welds, and the excess needs to be ground down
- Need thinner wire
- I did not take out fuel tank, the though process was that a closed system nearby was better than an open system
- Had to weld in a washer to get a good ground contact, also after watching some videos I think I can get an even better ground next time which could help as well.
- I am not currently happy with the results
- I painted the areas with some paint to prevent rusting
- Sanding flap discs are amazing
Links to Timelapse: No, I didn’t take video after the first couple hours as I was unhappy with my results and didn’t want any evidence of that.