Project Log (22 Nov 17):
Start Time: 1700L
End Time: 2300L
Received the new wheel cylinders from O’Reilly’s yesterday. I decided to get the car driving before swapping the brakes. I also didn’t want to do the rear wheel bearings yet, and those should really be done while you are swapping the rear brakes.
- Took off the wheels for the rear wheels for the first time today. The rear has an unneeded spacer on it, perhaps to push it out to align with the front?
o Author’s Note: It was needed, which I learned when I put it all back together
- I am sure you noticed that I have not been accomplishing everything on my to do lists, which is a common theme in my life, I decided it is most important to get the car starting and stopping before I leave for two weeks.
To Do (Daily):
1. þ Install Passenger’s rear wheel cylinder
2. þ Install Driver’s rear wheel cylinder
3. ¨ Bleed Rear Brakes
4. þ Flush Brakes
5. þRe-Install Wheels
6. ¨ Check Idle RPM
7. þ Clean the backseat (later addition)
1. The brakes came apart easily. The brake line did not come apart easily. I heated the fitting at least two times and hit it with penetrating fluid to get it to break loose. I still spun off the nut and will eventually need to replace that hardline (when I replace the rear drums with discs). I did not want to use the vice grips to break it loose, but it definitely forced my hand. Again it will get swapped when I swap the brakes.
- The brakes are pretty easy to disassemble , just remember to remove the hand brake cable, and use a bolt to pop the drum loose
- I had to re-install the cylinder because I forgot to run the rubber boot at least once
2. Took off the wheel and most of the brake parts very easily. This is when I determined the spacer was actually needed on the wheel; that is unfortunate.
- When attempting to remove the hardline, I broke it. I am stuck until I fix that.
- I attempted to heat and cool the hard line at least two times. The nut was rusted to the hard line to bad and it finally broke the hardline about an inch from the nut
- This is what happens when you don’t soak parts overnight
- Just realized after I cleaned up my tools that I can still put the whole thing back together without that hard line, realized this @ 2131L. Hope you get a kick out of me realizing that
- The brakes went back together way easier on the driver’s side than on the passengers
3. By the time I broke the hard line all of the parts stores were closed so there was no way to bleed the brakes
4. I was able to flush the rear brake lines even with the giant hole in the brake line
- The fluid came out a terrible rusty color
5. When re-installing the wheels I realized the spacers were needed to run the wheels, but more importantly the spacers leave almost no thread engagement with the lugs and studs that are currently on the car
- This to me is a danger and I will be working to fix this very soon
6. I decided not to start to determine the idle RPM tonight, will do that tomorrow on Thanksgiving
7. Cleaned the backseat with the same leather cleaner I used on the Buick it really cleaned up the back seat upholstery quite well.
- My kids Olivia and Cooper helped today doing the bleeding. Cooper actually helped quite a bit today when I was installing the passenger’s wheel cylinder I hope he learned something I explained how brakes worked with him.
o I am thankful for Cooper and Olivia helping it was sweet
o I am also grateful that I am actually able to have a project car
- Took a break from 1900-2000L
- I measured the rear cross member pass-through for the exhaust. The inner diameter is 2.5”. That means that I can comfortably run a 2.25” diameter exhaust.
o The current exhaust is 1.5” diameter
- Checked under the back seat and brought of the center seat belt buckles that were missing
- I am quite pleased with the work done today.
Images: Next one
Links to Timelapse: Next Update