A couple questions about my 620

ErickwithnoK

I have a 76 620, just swapped my 4 speed for a 5 speed (both the long type) not sure what the 5 speed is out of(P.O. had it in a 620 but he couldn't tell me any history about it), and when I put it in 5th it goes in fine but then the shifter slides towards the drivers side a few inches. It isnt falling out of gear. Is this normal? Is it overdrive?

Also, after swapping in the 5 speed and some SU hitachi's my charge light is on. Not sure how to diagnose this. Any advice?

Thanks guys.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the shifter move around in any of the other gears, or just 5th? Only thing I can think of would be to replace the shifter bushings at the bottom and sides of the shift lever (sorry, only help I can offer).

• Like 1

Charge light?

Make sure you got all connections good and correct.

Put a volt meter to the batter and rev the motor and see whats the voltage.

ck th fuse if popped.

if you removed the motor to swap the trans go back to ck the connections as I had this happen when removing my motors and the solid state volt reg would pop for not grounding the alt right or soemthing like that(really Fuck if I no) but I have a cigarette diode volt meter and I usaully see if im chargin correctly as the idiot light comming on is usually a big failure. I use the volt meter to keep track were things are at idle and reving and usually see a failure before the idiots light come on.

Charge light?

Make sure you got all connections good and correct.

Put a volt meter to the batter and rev the motor and see whats the voltage.

ck th fuse if popped.

if you removed the motor to swap the trans go back to ck the connections as I had this happen when removing my motors and the solid state volt reg would pop for not grounding the alt right or soemthing like that(really Fuck if I no) but I have a cigarette diode volt meter and I usaully see if im chargin correctly as the idiot light comming on is usually a big failure. I use the volt meter to keep track were things are at idle and reving and usually see a failure before the idiots light come on.

I'll check out the battery and rev it. I think it's supposed to be like 12 volts with the motor off and a little over 14 when charging.

I didn't pull the motor to swap the trans I pulled the torsion bar and dropped it out the bottom, so the connections shouldn't have changed but who knows if I bumped something loose.

Thanks, hainz

When putting it into 5th, does it click right in? Or is it kind of mushy?

When it's in gear, does it click right back into neutral?

Does it do this (or have any other problems) while in or while going in/out of reverse?

Could be a broken roll pin on the 5th/ reverse shaft. Could even be a broken shift fork.

5th feels a little mushy but when it slides over it feels like it clicks in nicely. It also feels good putting it back in neutral and in every other gear. I just installed it about two days ago so I know the fork is in good shape, but I haven't driven it much. I'll pay close attention to see if it feels different in 5th and reverse from other gears

There are 31.5" doglegs that came over from Japan on import engines. I have one without the front and rear case. Reverse is always above first. Very rare to find one.

...N....

2..4..R

620 four and 5 speeds shift like this

You noticed on your 4 speed  that there was a small rectangular cover plate with breather and with six bolts holding it on just forward of the shifter? The 5 speed won't have this.

So... when you shift from 4th into 5th do you notice a drop in RPM? I'm saying you wouldn't be the first to think they have a 5 speed but have a 4 speed and a sloppy shifter.

The fork only slides forward and back, same as the shift rod they are on.

Does revers shift to the left?????

I was talking about the clutch fork (not relevant, sorry for the confusion)

Yes 5th gear engaged and RPM dropped from 4th to 5th. It is the shift pattern you drew there with reverse on the right, and the shifter isn't sloppy in reverse that I can remember. I've only driven it a couple times with the new trans but ill check it tonight to make sure it isn't doing that in reverse?

I'm not sure about the plate you're talking about but ill look at the 4 speed in the garage

It is a long trans not a dogleg shape and reverse is far right and back.

Not sure how it can be overdrive if it's just 5th gear. After putting it in 5th it slides over a few inches to the drivers side.

5th gear IS overdrive.  One and the same.

1-2-3 are REDUCTION gears.  4th is 1:1, straight through.  5th is overdrive.

As far as the shifter moving, as long as it stays in gear it's probably OK but there is something worn in the linkage.  If it were actually a very loose 4-speed you'd know- because putting it in "5th" would actually be 3rd.

The striking rod is common to all gears so if it was at fault then there would be a problem with the other gears. Likewise the shifter bushings. If worn it would be all over the place in any gear.

aSXgN83.jpg

OK this is inside the transmission looking to the rear. The little 'finger' sticking down to the lower left is what pushes the shift rods forward for 2, 4 and Rev and back for 1, 3, 5.

Below...
Look on the far left ends of the shift rods. It's in neutral so they all line up with the neutral channel in the middle. The striking rod (above picture of 'finger') swings side to side through this neutral channel but can also move forward and back on each shift rod to select gears. Because the linkage reverses everything 1st/2nd is closest or the right side of the transmission even though the shifter is over to the left in the cab. 5th/Rev is to the top or left side.

Even though the shifter is pushed forward the striker rod pushes the 5/R shift rod back towards the rear.

wME0XNa.jpg

Now imagine the 'finger' at the top of that channel and shoving the 5th/Rev shift rod to the left to select 5th. That finger only moves just under 1/2" so it has the 3rg gear shift rod right there beside it. Hard to imagine how it can move to the right (down) causing the shifter to move to the left.

Well it's obviously shifts, so if missing the pin or broken, it may have rotated away from the 3/4 shift rod but is still on tight enough.

There is one other thing that limits the left right travel of the shift lever but to find out it has to come out anyway. There is a pin that allows the striking rod guide to rotate but not forward and back. Hard to explain. The striking rod guide is the part that has the pin that holds the shift lever in place. 

B745u8k.jpg

See that little pin forward of the striker guide? it fits into a groove across the top of the guide and hard to see but there is an E clip on this side. The guide can rock side to side but is prevented from moving forward and back. The striking rod is inside the guide and can move by moving the shifter.

Here's the other side where you can see the head of the 'stopper guide pin'. Now if the pin or the groove is badly worn on the right side it would allow the shifter to travel farther to the right than needed in 5th or reverse and when you let go of the shifter it would flop over to the left.

LhEbhfN.jpg