13 replies to this topic

#1 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cars:1974 620

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

I've been lurking for some time - have had a love for Datsuns since a 510 infected me with the fever several years ago - but I finally took the plunge and bought a '74 620 yesterday.

tYchzKx.jpg

The front end/brakes need some work before it's road worthy, but those wheels, grille shell, bubble sunroof and stink-bug stance made it too hard to resist.

QM5Tb8J.jpg

I guess Ben (the guy I bought it from) raised the front end from where the PO had it, but I'm not sure if he just didn't re-align it afterward, if the king pins are wasted, or maybe a bit of both. Anyway, the front tires, though new, are already wasted on the inside edges, and it needs some brake work anyway. It's making me consider options for the swap to ball joints and disc brakes. I feel like if I'm going to do it, I ought to do it right once, and be done with it.

Well, I guess the good news is that I bought it right, so there's money left to do some things. Let me know if there sre some pitfalls that I should be careful to avoid.

-DD

#2 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Welcome to Ratsun Dave. Good to have you here.

Take some time and line one of the front wheels with the rear one behind it. Just sight down the front and back tire edges and keep trying until it lines up with the rear. Now go look at the other side. Likely the two edges are looking way outside the rear tire. If you can see that the front tire is turned in (toe in) then it's bad enough to need adjusting.

Adjustment is quite easy and just requires an adjustable wrench to loosen the two lock nuts and a pair of vice grips to turn the cross rod they are on.

Posted Image

#3 Farmer

Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Cars:'78 Datsun 620 KingCab

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to the rat race. Nice looking 620

#4 Draker

Draker

Ratsun-Erect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,534 posts
  • Cars:1971 2 door 510, 1969 4 door 510, 2002 Tacoma double cab

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

Welcome!

View my 69 510 4dr Sedan - Build Thread
View my 71 510 2dr Sedan - Coming soon.

http://drakers.pl510.info

#5 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

I don't think toe is the issue as much as camber, but I can take care of all that soon enough,

LHhzq9C.jpg

I installed new lock cylinders in the doors today, for all the good that they do right now - no rear window until a new seal shows up. I'd just like to be able to secure it at night.

jL8m7OZ.jpg

#6 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

Good start and them,rims

#7 A-ko

A-ko

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cars:1973 Datsun 620, 1968 Chevy G10, 1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon, 1991 Ford Ranger

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

i loved that thing on Instagram, wanted it baaaaaad when he was selling it but i'm way too far away. That custom grille, stance, and those turbines are PERRRRRRFECT.

#8 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

I don't think toe is the issue as much as camber, but I can take care of all that soon enough,

Park level and use a torpedo level on the edge of the rims. They look good to me.

Posted Image

#9 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

i loved that thing on Instagram, wanted it baaaaaad when he was selling it but i'm way too far away. That custom grille, stance, and those turbines are PERRRRRRFECT.

Yeah, me too. I look forward to respecting Ben's vision, and tweaking it to my own. Pretty sure it will remain green in some form or another, and those rims and grille are definitely staying. Not sure about the bubble sunroof - he said it's a bit like sitting in a greenhouse in the summertime. I build/ride/show custom and vintage bikes, and this thing should come in handy for hauling duties.

#10 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Park level and use a torpedo level on the edge of the rims. They look good to me.

My brother runs a brakes/alignment shop, so it'll go up on his lift this week, and we'll find out exactly what issues it has underneath. Then I get to weigh the options...

#11 Farmer

Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Cars:'78 Datsun 620 KingCab

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Reminds me of my old 620

p_008.jpg

#12 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

Welcome to Ratsun Dave. Good to have you here.

Take some time and line one of the front wheels with the rear one behind it. Just sight down the front and back tire edges and keep trying until it lines up with the rear. Now go look at the other side. Likely the two edges are looking way outside the rear tire. If you can see that the front tire is turned in (toe in) then it's bad enough to need adjusting.

Adjustment is quite easy and just requires an adjustable wrench to loosen the two lock nuts and a pair of vice grips to turn the cross rod they are on.

Yes, welcome.

It appears that the truck may have wheel spacers on the rear axle (the tires are sticking out more than the front...?), so sighting the front to rear tires won't help with toe.

#13 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yes, welcome.

It appears that the truck may have wheel spacers on the rear axle (the tires are sticking out more than the front...?), so sighting the front to rear tires won't help with toe.

Just wider/staggered wheels, but yeah. I'll get it on a rack and align it this week.

#14 Durty Dave

Durty Dave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Not too much to tell, but I did put a new back window seal into it on Sunday.